After dark range activities

The place for your detailed reviews and reports for guns and gear
1911Man

After dark range activities

Post by 1911Man »

I have a friend with a berm in his back yard. He wanted to fire my RPK (Yugo M72) and I needed to test my chamber polishing job on my Galil. It was going to be close to dark when we got to set up, so I brought a couple rifles I wanted to do a LoF (Length of Flame) test on. One was a Mosin-Nagant 91/30, the other was an M44.

This review is to compare the muzzle flash in the dark of the three Commie Bloc weapons. The RPK (AK w/ 20" heavy barrel) had the least amount of flash. Both the flash visible to the shooter and spectators was pretty anemic. There was no flash hider, only a slant cut muzzle break.

The 91/30 has a crowned muzzle, no bayonet was attached, and there was no muzzle device. The flame from end of muzzle to the tip of the flame was about 1 foot. The height was about 5" at the muzzle and tapered down to a small point. It was pale orange at the end and yellow-white at the muzzle. Little flame was visible to the shooter.

The M44 has a crowned barrel, bayonet was extended, and there was no muzzle device. The flame was spectacular. It was a bright white color from the muzzle to about 4 feet. It was about 1 foot tall. I couldn't see the taper and neither could the other two observers. The flash was bright like a camera flash and we were flash blinded. The flame was clearly visible to the shooter. Night vision was diminished greatly, but not completely ruined.

The M44 is now called Draco. I wish we'd taken pictures or video. I need a video camera. Oddly enough, we hit pretty close to the bullseyes on our targets.
My ideas are mine. You go out and get your own!
moose42

Re: After dark range activities

Post by moose42 »

The M44 is the weapon of choice when you need to light your enemy on fire!
Years from now our children and grandchildren living in a 3rd world America will ask "What were you doing on March 21st 2010 and why didn't you stop it?"
--Me

Come check out my blog where I share my crazy sci-fi and fantasy fiction.
Alone: King of One
Precision

Post by Precision »

moose42 wrote:The M44 is the weapon of choice when you need to light your enemy on fire!
Yes, very much so.

My night time experience was about 3 -3.5 foot of flame travel and about a foot in diameter. The flame had a very serious taper (when observed from about 40 feet away) and lit up the entire area from the shooter to the berm 50 yards away. Color was white, yellow with green IIRC. Bulgarian light ball

I was with a 16 year old who thought it was "super cool", so we shot it a few more times until his mom reminded us of the time (midnight). :mrgreen:
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
TheArmsman

Post by TheArmsman »

I had a New England 10ga shotgun, cut down to 18 1/4 inches. Lit that thing off at night, and still night-blind, shooting 3 1/2 000 buck.
When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.
Aegis

Post by Aegis »

mosin 4.jpg
That was taken from about my 4 o'clock, so the flame looks shorter in the pic than it really was.

'Twas an M44, incidentally.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chicks dig fixed bayonets
Gunnuts

Post by Gunnuts »

Great flamage only counts if its in the daylight and comes from a handgun. ;)