Desert Sports Car - Ford's New Raptor Pickup

The place for your detailed reviews and reports for guns and gear
Jericho941

Re: Desert Sports Car - Ford's New Raptor Pickup

Post by Jericho941 »

Well, you know what they say. Found On Roadside Ditches.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Jericho941 wrote:Well, you know what they say. Found On Roadside Ditches.
And here I thought it was: Fix Or Repair Daily.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Precision

Post by Precision »

performance "factory" vehicles have been sold with a 12 month / 12,000 mile warranty for years. A Ranger or F-150 has a significantly better warranty.

Not saying Ford is good or bad, just that you buy a suped up ride from a tuner under a factory badge, don't expect a huge warranty. They KNOW you're gonna bash it.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Precision wrote:performance "factory" vehicles have been sold with a 12 month / 12,000 mile warranty for years. A Ranger or F-150 has a significantly better warranty.

Not saying Ford is good or bad, just that you buy a suped up ride from a tuner under a factory badge, don't expect a huge warranty. They KNOW you're gonna bash it.
Perhaps, but even a vehicle with new technology (Hybrids) made in Japan carried a FACTORY minimum THREE YEAR warranty, upgradable to more than double that for less than 5% extra cost. Many other manufacturers are giving 10 YEAR - 100,000 mile warranties, and yet FORD is still sticking to a ONE YEAR 12,000 mile warranty? WTF?? They don't even trust their own vehicles enough to warranty them for longer than ONE YEAR??

MANY people have advised me over the years to look for the manufacturer's warranty to see which item you should buy if all other things are almost equal. That'll tell you just how much they EXPECT it to be back in the shop due to their manufacturing vs. others in the same class. So far, I've found this to be pretty damn solid advice.

YMMV

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

CByrneIV wrote:When you buy an SVT vehicle, you are NOT buying a daily driver, or a transportation vehicle. You're buying a racing, recreation, or other off highway vehicle that happens to be street legal.

Frankly, the idea that anything from a "specialty vehicle team", "team racing development office" "factory speed shop" etc... has any kind of warranty other than DOA is great.

Why would anyone think otherwise?
Even for a production vehicle? Under those conditions, I would think perhaps a two-year warranty would garner much more consumer confidence and trust. But that's coming from someone who's not intimately familiar with the auto industry in general and the high-performance industry in particular. I defer to your expertise, but even so, I think they'd sell more of them if they increased the warranty to demonstrate their confidence in their own product.

rightisright

Post by rightisright »

The Ford SVT Raptor comes with a 3 year / 36K bumper to bumper warranty. And 5 year 60K powertrain. http://autos.yahoo.com/ford-truck/f-150 ... ranty.html

The 12 month warranty is from Hennessey on their upgrades. That said, Ford most probably would NOT warranty the powertrain if it were upgraded to an 800 twin turbo. :)

This guy quotes directly from the manual: http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtests/2 ... ranty.html
After my day off-roading earlier this week, I was wondering how warranty coverage works with the Raptor. (That is, if something breaks on our truck while off-roading, would it be covered under warranty.) So I've pulled a few quotes from the Raptor's owner's manual.

"The F-150 Raptor carries the same New Vehicle Limited Warranty as other Ford F-150 models."

"SVT does not recommend modifying or racing SVT vehicles, as they are designed and built to be driven as delivered from the factory."

Ford SVT has engineered your F-150 Raptor for off-road use beyond what is normal for a F-150. However, it can incur damage if driven beyond its capabilities. Skidplates, shock guards and running boards were designed to help limit damage to vital components and exterior finishes, but cannot prevent all damage if driven in extreme off-road conditions. Damage to skid plates, shock guards, running boards and exterior finishes as well as bent, cracked or broken body, frame and chassis components may not be covered by warranty."
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

They leave a lot of wiggle room for damages sustained off-road. But if you are driving it on the highway and it throws a rod, it's covered for 5/60.

People are confusing the 12 month Hennessey warranty w. Ford's warranty.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Thanks for the education!! That's one of the things I really LOVE about these forums!! Pick a topic and I can pretty much guarantee that we have someone experienced or even EXPERT in the field - at least enough for us novices to realize just how little we REALLY know!

THANKS Chris, and the others!! I learn something new here ALL THE TIME!

Denis

Post by Denis »

"Desert sports"? You need a technical... Tried and tested the sandy world over.

Linky and another.

If I could find a nice used Hilux for decent money, I'd be on it faster than fleas on a cat.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Someday I plan on buying a few and stashing them at various places I travel to often with a "kit" in each one....

Great trucks. If you ever want to buy the most rugged of anything just look at what they are driving in the 'stans and Fiji and Brazil.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.