A review of the Kimber Stainless Pro TLE/RL II

The place for your detailed reviews and reports for guns and gear
Combat Controller
Site Admin

A review of the Kimber Stainless Pro TLE/RL II

Post by Combat Controller »

I have decided to retroactively review guns that I own or have owned to see how they stack up to use and carry.

I do this because for too long we have been subjected to reviews of guns right out of the box. Well that's all well and fine for a first impression, but how well is it holding up after 6000 rounds? I have had just about everything happen to my guns, especially my 1911's as I shoot them a tremendous amount. So I want to review those guns that I have thoroughly wrung out.

Pics are behind the title links.

This is a review of the Kimber Stainless Pro TLE/RL II

Caliber: .45 ACP
Time owned prior to review: 4 years
Round count: approx 800 rounds
Condition at purchase: New
Carry Gun: Sort of
Custom work: No

I bought this gun because it looked cool. I was in the market for a 1911 with a rail admittedly, or at least I was open to the possibility. I wanted a 1911 with a light for night duty (right in the head board actually), so I could retire the perfectly functional but boring and non reflexive Springfield XD. I saw this one and it's brother in basic black in my local gun pushers case. The commander length intrigued me, and, well, it looked cool. So I bought them both and brought them home.

The first quick trip to the range was fine for both, 50 rounds each and a few stoppages, to be expected with Kimbers. Laser accurate.

The more through trip I arranged the following weekend unmasked more troubling issues. Both started to fail to extract at around 150 rounds. Cleaned them, swapped mags, the usual and still no joy, it only got worse. Drat, looks like the dreaded external extractor bug bit me twice! I called Kimber and before I finished explaining the problem Denis told me to just send them in and he would replace the slides. Oh. Ok. I had not had to send a Kimber in yet but had heard of this issue of course. The first one I bought was an older first generation one and worked great (IE). I traded it but had a good experience so far. I was glad that there was an unquestioned offer to fix it but was still miffed that two new guns were lemons! The other thing that really bothered me was that Kimber made me pay for shipping and offered me a free mag or two in compensation (I got two). That made me unhappy as well.

Fast forward 5 weeks and I get the guns back. Yup, new slides and barrels(!) and some new mags. I take the guns to the range and have a few extraction issues. I figure I have to do the whole break in again. At this point I find an unfired nickle Colt Python I strongly desire to add to the collection so I use the black one as a trade in against it.

The Stainless goes with me to the range and smooths out after another 60 rounds or so. After 500 I am satisfied it is defense worthy. I want to take it dog walking but run into problem number two. Nobody makes a holster for it. Especially with a light. That was frustrating until I found a Galco Glock holster that fit it perfect, without the light. At this point I was pretty settled on keeping it by the bedside at least and stuck a couple of lights on it. I went back to the XD light so it fits in it's cubby, and put the larger one on the Springfield XD and have that on the Missus side of the bed.

I ran it through my IDPA course and it was great, shot fantastic. I still want a custom holster for it, as it is now one of my favorite guns and would like the option to carry it with a light.

The only three things I did to it were swapping out the grips for GI Walnut and replacing the FLGR with a Springco recoil reducer one, partly because they work and partly so I don't have to use a paperclip to take it down. I do it to all my FLGR Bull Barrel guns now. Even my Royal Carry (ought to modify the review for that one). Eliminates the part I never liked about FLGR. I figure if I have to have one I might as well be able to strip the gun without tools. Lastly I swapped out the stupid plastic MSH. I hate that thing, even the principle of it.

IF you see one of these be aware of the EE problem and the holster availability problem. Glock holsters do work though. This is a keeper now and I trust it to be my bump in the night gun.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.