Gear I won't ever deploy without

The place for your detailed reviews and reports for guns and gear
JAG2955

Re: Gear I won't ever deploy without

Post by JAG2955 »

JK, it looks like the bum gouge representative got to you. Man, those guys are everywhere! QuikClot Mark 1 doesn't get hot enough to cauterize, though it will cause burns. The guys at Deployment Medicine International who did our class poured old-style QuikClot into a tupperware container along with a thermometer. If memory serves me correctly, it only reaches about 210 deg F. Hot enough to burn the crap our of the wound, but not enough to cauterize flesh.

QuikClot works by attracting the water molecules in blood, and allowing the non-liquid parts of blood to coagulate and form a clot easier. See here: http://www.z-medica.com/quikclot/hemostat_quikclot.asp If nothing else, it should allow for some fun questions for the lead instructor during your next mandatory training.

Glad to see that you love the CAT tourniquet. I think that my corpsman carried 5 on his body, and way more in his kit. Incidentally, the guys at DMI were very anti-tampon for bullet wounds.
JKosprey

Post by JKosprey »

JAG2955 wrote:JK, it looks like the bum gouge representative got to you. Man, those guys are everywhere! QuikClot Mark 1 doesn't get hot enough to cauterize, though it will cause burns. The guys at Deployment Medicine International who did our class poured old-style QuikClot into a tupperware container along with a thermometer. If memory serves me correctly, it only reaches about 210 deg F. Hot enough to burn the crap our of the wound, but not enough to cauterize flesh.

QuikClot works by attracting the water molecules in blood, and allowing the non-liquid parts of blood to coagulate and form a clot easier. See here: http://www.z-medica.com/quikclot/hemostat_quikclot.asp If nothing else, it should allow for some fun questions for the lead instructor during your next mandatory training.

Glad to see that you love the CAT tourniquet. I think that my corpsman carried 5 on his body, and way more in his kit. Incidentally, the guys at DMI were very anti-tampon for bullet wounds.
I suppose I stand corrected, although those burns are nasty enough to give me serious pause before using it...what good is stopping the bleeding if I burn the hell outta somebodys arteries? I'm working on some supply issues at my unit right now, most of what I have came from one guys previous deployment and stuff I aquired from the hospital after calls at work. It's pretty sad. I was told when the actual warning order came we'd get stuff, but as of now "There is no money in the budget for medical equipment" I was at Ft. Irwin in the fake sandbox mooching off of more prepared units. So now I have roughly 8 CATs for all 5 of my guys. But we're not in combat yet.

Tampons are a quick fix. They are nowhere close to sterile, they can easily over-absorb, and they tend to pull clots when removed, which limits their effectiveness. If your patient just starts bleeding again its more work for the hospital staff. It may save a life in the field, and I will use them, if theres nothing else around, but there are not a first choice item. Different sizes help. Pre-teen or light flow for 5.56 or 5.45 russian sized wounds, heavier flow for AK rounds. Also, its worth noting that they're only effective on entrance wounds. You're still gonna have to pack the exit with a crapload of kerlix!
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

No one is going to comment on the usefulness of taken a few dozen condoms on deployment?

Maybe that's just cause I was a sailor. :oops:
If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom,...Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you...; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.

-Samuel Adams

Irate Islander
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Wasn't in subs so have nothing to offer on that topic.

:twisted:
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
JKosprey

Post by JKosprey »

These days, with the force integrated with females, who become proportionally more attractive the longer you're deployed/stuck with them....those condoms have a much more fun use than the improved water jug or muzzle cover. Not that *I* would ever do something like that! :twisted: :roll:
BadgerAZ

Post by BadgerAZ »

Thanks for the great info on Celox, JK. I almost always take some with me in case something really bad happens somewhere, but I was no longer sure it was safe to use. Much appreciated.
g-man

Post by g-man »

Mud_Dog wrote:That is quite interesting, but will a P-Mag fit in a M249?
Yes. And they run really well.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum