A review of the S&W 1911 PD Gunsite Edition

The place for your detailed reviews and reports for guns and gear
Combat Controller
Site Admin

A review of the S&W 1911 PD Gunsite Edition

Post by Combat Controller »

I have decided to retroactively review guns that I own or have owned to see how they stack up to use and carry.

I do this because for too long we have been subjected to reviews of guns right out of the box. Well that's all well and fine for a first impression, but how well is it holding up after 6000 rounds? I have had just about everything happen to my guns, especially my 1911's as I shoot them a tremendous amount. So I want to review those guns that I have thoroughly wrung out.

Pics are behind the title links.

This is a review of the S&W 1911 PD Gunsite Edition.

Caliber: .45 ACP
Time owned prior to review: 3 years
Round count: approx 3400 rounds
Condition at purchase: Used
Carry Gun: Yes
Custom work: No

I bought this 1911 for carry a number of years ago when my doctor recommended a lighter weapon for carry due to a back problem. I semi retired my Colt Commander and bought a Kimber Royal Carry CCO and this gun.

I have always liked the Commander length 1911 for concealed carry, and I had coveted a lightweight Scandium 1911 since I heard that S&W put them on offer. I own two Scandium Alloy revolvers which are real workhorse carry pistols, so I know that they can take abuse and not weigh you down unduly.

Now normally I am suspicious of external extractors on 1911's, I have had all four EE Kimbers of mine go back for failing and had the slides replaced with the traditional known good extractor. In this case I was convinced to give it a try by my local pusher by his pointing out that S&W has been producing EE guns for years and in many configurations and they all work and work well. That and I really wanted it. So I plunked down the cash and took it home to try it out.

I love the way this gun feels. It is really a well made and well thought out variation, and I can even forgive the front slide serrations, which I abhor because they look bad and hang up in my holsters. This guns are biased cut like the rear and slide out smoothly. I like attention to detail. The billboard is also not intrusive, which I like. It carries well, in an IWB or shoulder rig.

I did the usual wring out for a carry gun, much more through than a range gun. I fed it everything I could throw at it. 185 gr SWC and LSWC loaded short, 200gr LSWC. 200 gr Federal EFP, 230 gr WWB ball, Golden Sabers, Gold Dots, etc. I even shot a number of my dwindling supply of Hornady tracers and Corbon Flying Ashtrays. It performed well with no jams or stovepipes or any other tomfoolery. It is as accurate as I can make it and ran so fine I decided to do nothing to it other than replace the MIM slide stop as I have had trouble with them before. That and changed the smooth grips for some linen/micarta ones.

It has run ever since with every mag from my GI stock to my Novacks to Chip Mac's. Any trouble was either ammo or mag related over the years. I tend to carry it only in the winter in a Galco Jackass shoulder rig, so it gets neglected in the summers. The Kimber is often the choice in the summer as it has an officers frame, and being shorter it sticks out less.

I shoot the gun often, as it is a carry gun, even every so often in IDPA which I use less for the competition and more to try and break my guns. If there is one place it will break it is there, as I have learned. My caveat is my first failure with the gun, in IDPA last weekend the slide stop broke in a string while Eugene was borrowing it when his gun failed to feed my home rolled 185 LSWC. Now, After looking at it I realized it was also a MIM part, and I could swear I replaced it with a tool steel one. I guess I did not, or got it confused with another part and put it in. I am very glad it failed there and not on me on a dark street one night.

Overall, a very satisfactory gun owning experience, and one I recommend very highly. I also strongly recommend replacing (and being sure you did) MIM parts, especially easy to fail and hard wearing parts like the slide stop. To it's credit it lasted at least 3400 rounds, but that is unacceptable as I have (older) Colt 1911's with 25k rounds that have had zero failures. In short, I have trusted my life to this gun and will continue to do so, the wake up call just reminded me to check and double check my gear, and to test often and hard.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Denis

Re: A review of the S&W 1911 PD Gunsite Edition

Post by Denis »

Great report, thanks! Good thing you let Eugene shoot it - it takes a Russian engineer to really break stuff properly :shock:

About the Gunsite edition... I remember reading in Col. Cooper's commentaries that the most important modification that the Gunsite gunsmithy performed on carry 1911s was "slimlining" the grip/butt. He said that the standard 1911 grip is too large for about 25% of male shooters, and 50% of females, and that slimlining makes the pistol usable for them, without diminishing its function for others.

Is there evidence of "slimlining" on your pistol, and if so, what did they change?
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Good question, when I get back to the house I will pop it out and look. It has a high cut trigger guard but I am not sure what else. I suspect it is a stock 1911 with a little birdie on it and a new trigger.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Huh, I forgot to answer your question Denis. It has no slimming and conforms to all my other pistols. But it fits me perfect anyway. Since I took first place last Sunday in the CDP division in my IDPA match with it's brother, I guess it works fine for me!
Denis

Post by Denis »

Well, you know what they say about men with big hands... 8-)