Yogi Reviews: Gamo Whisper Fusion .177 air rifle (Drunk)

The place for your detailed reviews and reports for guns and gear
Yogimus

Yogi Reviews: Gamo Whisper Fusion .177 air rifle (Drunk)

Post by Yogimus »

Ok, you fucks, you wanted this.

Gamo whisper fusion: Also known as this fucking thing:

It is a Break Barrel, Gas piston operated, single shot, .177 caliber air rifle, with an adjustable cheek rest, and integrated silencer. It is rated at 1000 feet per second with standard lead pellets (7 grain)

This rifle will be ranked on the following criteria:

1. Usability
3. Power
2. Noise
4. Value

(we discussed math, and my suggestions regarding copulation therewith in a previous review, I will not cover it here)

A little back ground info before we start: I am always in the market for a pellet rifle that I can use indoors. I live in a "4 plex" style apartment, so the noise factor is a significant concern for me. The primary point for a rifle for me is to practice fundamentals, and to murder the everliving fuck of any cute and fuzzies that wander by my window. The neighborhood cats and I have a pretty good arrangement. I pop the tweeties off the branches, and they clean up by morning. Except for the bunny... no one fucks with the bunny.

Basically, I need a rifle that is bird accurate to 20 yards, has enough of an oomph to bust through a wing into the birdie, and quiet enough as to not alert the oppressive regime that seeks to stop the revolution.

So on to the review:

.05. What comes in the box: A scope, a gun, and a little suppository of "platinum alloy" pellets, taht are supposedly super fast. (IE: light. laws of thermodynamics will not be toiled with) The gun is about 4 feet long, and is VERY well put together. More on that later. (Foreshadowing. Like a fucking boss.) There is also a scope included in the package, along with a star-shaped allen wrench that fits the scope bolts, as well as the cheek rest adjusters. Why a star instead of the hex? Because FUCK YOU. The scope comes with a VERY nice 1 piece mount. More on this later as well. (we already discussed foreshadowing, this is further proof of my boss status) So, as to what is in the box: A rifle, a scope, a little suppository of 50 PBA pellets, and a scope tool.

1. Usability: The gun weighs 6 lb, and has a cocking resistance of about 38 lb. (from the website) The gun cocks very smoothly, thanks to the gas piston power-plant. On a side note: gas piston airguns are the fucking tits. Easier cock, smoother recoil, and less of a "sound" from the stock during firing. Basically, it doesn't sound like two 2x4's being slapped against each other. I have not yet fucked with the cheek rest, because the gun fits me rather well, but it is a nice addition. The rifle stock's plastic is out-fucking-standing. VERY high quality, and could be considered "milspec/tactical" if those words meant anything other than "The person reading this is a fucking idiot so I am patronizing them". NO warp in it what so ever, and it has a nice textured feel to it, not rough, but very "grippy". By far the best plastic I have felt on a gun, "real" or "pellet". No bullshit. The barrel is a wide, fluted barrel, with a "Police/babykilling feinsteiner" (suppressor) running down about 75% of the barrel. The rifle is quality.

The trigger itself is a bit heavy, (by civilian standards) but is very consistent. Furthermore, IF you pull the trigger with the barrel cocked, it will NOT come back and hit you in your face. This is a good thing. There is a screw that allows trigger adjustment, but I don't fuck with those. I prefer to learn the gun over making the gun accommodate me. Finally, I actually prefer a heavy trigger because all my duty weapons have an 8+ lb pull, and my goal is to improve my proficiency with those weapons. (2x expert baby, YEA!)

AFK MUST PEE

Ok back.. where was I... hold on grabbin a beer. (I feel insecure with an empty bladder... never know when a fire will break out.. also, chicks dig beer-guts.. How else would you explain chris being married)

2. Noise: The first 5-10 shots out of this rifle are loud enough to ring my ears. Seriously. Pull the trigger, and all you hear is PINNNnnnnnnnnnng and that nice C sharp for a minute or so. It is FUCKING LOUD. This is because of the combustion of the storage materials within the chamber and barrel. This is a common phenomenon on 1000fps+ rifles. The 1st shot out of this airgun is INCREDIBLE. It cracked a backstop, and sparked off my secondary backstop. (my fireplace) Oh, and there was a 2 foot flame and the smell of smoke in the air after firing. NOT A SINGLE ONE OF THESE STATEMENTS IS A LIE OR AN EXAGGERATION. It is also NOT unique to this gun. Once all the oils combust, the gun settles down a bit... Still. Overall, the noise level is appropriate for IN HOUSE use if you own your own home, but NOT for outdoor use in a suburb, unless your neighbors are cool. Definitely NOT an apartment gun. It is quieter than a .22lr, but louder than a "10 pump".

3. Power: The rifle is rated as "1300 fps with PBA pellets". This means a bit under 1000fps with lead pellets. (this is a good thing, sonic booms at 1050 fps can't be silenced) 1000 feet per second on a 7 grain projectile is lethal. It is adequate for poaching 20lb animals. The power is consistent from shot to shot.

4. The scope (fuck value): the scope is the rifle's weak point. It is truly a magnificent piece of shit, wrapped in an outstanding scope mount. (1 piece with 2 rings) Airguns have a fuck of a recoil, that will completely assbliterate the priciest of Nikons. (double "2 way" recoil) The 1st scope/gun combo was promptly returned because the reticule decided to do a 45 degree rotation after 3 shots. The second scope seems to be holding fine, but the cross isn't a cross. The bottom and the top line don't line up. It also lacks an objective ring, rendering it useless on targets under 10 feet away.

4.5. Value: at $250, the rifle is a bit pricy. The silencer DOES quiet it down considerably, but not enough for it to be an "apartment" gun, or even a backyard gun. The rifle itself is VERY well made, and as such, I can't really fault it, but still... a bit pricy.

5. Iron sights: Outfucking standing.

6. Accuracy: 1 ragged hole at 10 feet with irons, a nickel sized group with the special needs scope.

Would I buy again? probably, but I am stupid. Pee time again.
Netpackrat

Re: Yogi Reviews: Gamo Whisper Fusion .177 air rifle (Drunk

Post by Netpackrat »

Hmm. I guess when I bought the cheaper one without the suppressor, that meant I didn't get an adjustable cheek rest, either. Hmm, where can I get a stock with one of those? Now I've got a strange desire to convert my single shot, break open air gun to take a pistol grip and a folding stock....
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
arctictom

Post by arctictom »

I also have the cheaper version and use a wizz bang dandy laser sight which I dont rembember where I got. But I shoot squirrls in the head at 20 to 50 yards
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

Yogimus wrote:
1000 feet per second on a 7 grain projectile is lethal. It is adequate for poaching 20lb animals.
Bull-fucking-shit.

I have poached more small game with airguns than you have sucked ladyboys dicks Yogi. I made a career out of it at one time ( poaching, not sucking dick :D )

For a one shot kill you need a relatively heavy pellet ( like 16 plus grains ) going at about 800 fps. And that had better be a headshot unless you like listening to half dead rabbits screaming. Which I personally don't.
All my life I been in the dog house
I guess that just where I belong
That just the way the dice roll
Do my dog house song
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

Idk, the pelley has about 5 to 7 inches of penetration on possum.

(not dead, but definitely dying)
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

Fucking Americans :lol:
All my life I been in the dog house
I guess that just where I belong
That just the way the dice roll
Do my dog house song
arctictom

Post by arctictom »

I did try a 338 win mag on small game but I couldnt find any critter after words, I suspect foul play
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Highspeed wrote:Fucking Americans :lol:
Don't forget where we came from........ LOL! :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

Speak for yourself, English! :lol:
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

arctictom wrote:I did try a 338 win mag on small game but I couldnt find any critter after words, I suspect foul play
125grn Speer TNT's out of a 300 WSM with a slow twist barrel would be positively murder on chucks.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt