Yogi Reviews: Gamo Whisper Fusion .177 air rifle (Drunk)

The place for your detailed reviews and reports for guns and gear
Netpackrat

Re: Yogi Reviews: Gamo Whisper Fusion .177 air rifle (Drunk

Post by Netpackrat »

I disassembled a ptarmigan with a .50 round ball once. I had to wait for the smoke to clear so I could go pick up the pieces.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

For a one shot kill you need a relatively heavy pellet ( like 16 plus grains ) going at about 800 fps. And that had better be a headshot unless you like listening to half dead rabbits screaming. Which I personally don't.
Regarding smaller pests, I've plugged gray squirrels directly in the heart/lung area w. a ~10 gr pellet at 1000 FPS. Most of them drop. Some keep climbing and eventually fall out of the tree and some run off into the woods... to eventually die, I would hope. Headshots are instant drop.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Had my Gamo out of the case in the garage last night. I should have left it in the cabin over the winter; it's going to eventually get me in trouble here in the city.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Aglifter wrote:Speak for yourself, English! :lol:
People are staring at me for laughing my ass off.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Netpackrat wrote:I disassembled a ptarmigan with a .50 round ball once. I had to wait for the smoke to clear so I could go pick up the pieces.
You have to love a state where the state bird is fair game.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
arctictom

Post by arctictom »

Having tryed various combos I find big heavy and slow is the best meat gatherer and very fast and some what heavy is the most fun to watch. Very fast and light makes things disappear, 7 mm mag and smaller is really distructive
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

arctictom wrote:Having tryed various combos I find big heavy and slow is the best meat gatherer and very fast and some what heavy is the most fun to watch. Very fast and light makes things disappear, 7 mm mag and smaller is really distructive
My dad's hunting buddy told him he needed to get something less destructive than the 7mm Weatherby magnum for hunting our smallish coastal deer. But, I think that might have had more to do with my dad having intentionally scored a twofer (one through the head, the other through the neck) in front of his friend's disbelieving eyes, than with any wrecked meat. 7 mag is a laser gun.

308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Netpackrat wrote:
arctictom wrote:Having tryed various combos I find big heavy and slow is the best meat gatherer and very fast and some what heavy is the most fun to watch. Very fast and light makes things disappear, 7 mm mag and smaller is really distructive
My dad's hunting buddy told him he needed to get something less destructive than the 7mm Weatherby magnum for hunting our smallish coastal deer. But, I think that might have had more to do with my dad having intentionally scored a twofer (one through the head, the other through the neck) in front of his friend's disbelieving eyes, than with any wrecked meat. 7 mag is a laser gun.
I imagine the .300 Win Mag is comparable (if not the same thing, although my ignorance might be showing), and it's one of the reasons America's Sniper with the Most Confirmed Kills (Chris Kyle) said it was his preferred weapon when performing long-range shooting (anything over a couple hundred meters). Hard-hitting with LONG-RANGE accuracy was what he preferred, without the excessive recoil from the larger-caliber firearms.

After hearing of Chris' murder, I decided to listen to his biography CD set again ('cause it's MUCH EASIER to listen to a book on CD while driving than trying to read the book on the road and in traffic). I LOVE audio books!! ESPECIALLY when they're read by the author - so now I am listening to Chris' voice while he's reading the book he wrote about his experiences. How cool is THAT?!?!?!?

I just wish he didn't meet such a bullshiite end to his life, taken out by someone he was trying to help. How sad, even he died while serving a VERY WORTHY goal of trying to help another vet. May God rest his soul in Heaven, and bring peace and comfort to those he loved and those who loved him.

SEMPER FI!
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad