Review: AAC suppressor, Noveske switchblock, AAC Brake/mount

The place for your detailed reviews and reports for guns and gear
doc Russia

Review: AAC suppressor, Noveske switchblock, AAC Brake/mount

Post by doc Russia »

So, really quickly, I have had a can for a 6.5 grendel for some time, and decided it would be a good idea to try it out on my 5.56. To do this, I put an AAC Brake adapter on, and switched out the gas block for a Noveske switchblock. This is a very rudimentary review.
The rifle in question was a 5.56mm "Frankengun." That is, components were obtained from all over, and assembled in my garage into a rifle. So, manufacturers range from Bravo Company Mfg. to Brownells, to Spike's tactical, to you name it.
Previously, the gun had run flawlessly. Never had a malfunction. Never. Even with wolf ammo.
So, before trusting it, I needed to run it through it's paces. I was shooting cheap remanufactured 5.56. couldn't even tell you the grains, but it was FMJ. Brass cases. Went through about 4-5 mags.
Had no problems. The sound suppression was not as good as I had hoped since it is made for a 6.5, and not a 5.56. The can got very bloody hot. I had to wait about 15 minutes for it to cool before I could even think of manipulating it. Lots of fouling into the system. I had a soot spot on my trigger finger where carbon gas shot out of the trigger hole in the lower receiver onto my finger. The Noveske worked as advertised. It cycled unless it was off, or you had it in "S" for "suppressor" and then tried to run it with the suppressor off, in which case, it failed every time. No issues switching between settings aside from how hot the block got.
the Brake mount seemed to work pretty well taming recoil with the can off. In act, the recoil was worse with the can on.
So, the final verdict is that the Noveske switchblock works perfectly. The brake mount works well, and the suppressor works adequately, but not as well as a 5.56 suppressor would.
"That which does not transmit light creates its own darkness"
-Marcus Aurelius
"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one."
-Captain Mal Reynolds, Firefly
Cybrludite

Re: Review: AAC suppressor, Noveske switchblock, AAC Brake/m

Post by Cybrludite »

My local funstore carries AACs. I'm thinking of getting one either for my 1911 or for my .40 S&W M&P. Easier to get parts for putting a can on the 1911 and the ammo is subsonic, but the M&P is my go-to sidearm for any situation where the silencer would be more than a spendy toy. (Yes, I know the default answer is "Get both!" Maybe when I win the lottery...)
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.