INOVA LED Microlight Review

The place for your detailed reviews and reports for guns and gear
workinwifdakids

INOVA LED Microlight Review

Post by workinwifdakids »

I purchased an INOVA LED Microlight from LA Police Gear on sale for $5.99 (originally price: $9.00). I read that it's very popular with the military in Iraq and Afghanistan, and it fit my requirements: lightweight, very small, and red output.

The package arrived about an hour ago, and these are my initial impressions.

CASE, PACKAGING, EXTERNALS
It's smaller than it looks in the package. It's no wider than the diameter of a standard #2 pencil, and it's less than 2 inches (2.5cm) long by 1 inch across. I could see the case getting scratched up, because it is plastic but it's not flimsy by any means. The LED is embedded flush with the case so there's little to no risk of the LED being damaged. It's attached by molded plastic to a one-piece mount that's sufficiently wide to attach to MOLLE systems. The packaging was attractive paperboard (not clamshell) with the device embedded in thin transparent plastic display between the board layers.

It feels sturdy, but I could break it if I applied the same amount of pressure as I would to break a PaperMate or Bic medium-point pen. It would definitely shatter if I stomped on it with a boot, but I think I could stand on it without snapping it, as long as my weight was distributed from end-to-end and not in the middle of the compartment.

SPECIFICATIONS
15hrs per battery set (two 2016 Lithium coin cell batteries)
Lifetime LED bulb
4 function switch

LIGHT OUTPUT
My initial impression upon turning it on was, I kid you not, "Holy hell this thing is BRIGHT!" It made me smile; now that's a stupid thing to say in a review, perhaps, but if you ever tried a device and immediately smiled, you know what I mean. If you press the middle, it is a momentary-on push-style light on "high" setting. They call this "signal mode." Output? I dunno, but it's uncomfortable to look at. It doesn't quite cause a reflexive response like a Surefire, but it's annoying as hell to stare into the beam. This high mode splashed a bright circle on my wall in broad sunny daylight; I was sitting in my office with the blinds open on a sunny day, and from 5 feet away I put a bright and defined circle on the wall. This circle was fairly messy, with blurred edges, defined 'layers' from inside to outside, and a blank hole in the middle; the circle of light was roughly 12 inches from 5 feet away, with a 1.5" blank middle.

Keep in mind this is the red version; I imagine the white version would be, if not scientifically brighter, then at least seem brighter to the eye.

Upon holding down for 15 seconds, the light ceases to become a press-to-light device. Instead, it reverts to a 3-function model. Press once for high, twice for low, and three times for strobe. The high setting is too bright to read by in a darkened room; yes, it's that bright. The low setting is good to read by in total darkness, but good enough to get a good splash of light without causing too much attention to yourself. The strobe? It flashes on the annoying "HIGH" setting at roughly 2.5 times per SECOND. It claims you can see the strobe from 1 mile away. On the open ocean, a hilltop or rooftop on a cloudy night? I don't doubt it.

My photography skills suck, but here's my semi-dark garage in two frames of completely untouched photographs. The first is my garage door from 6 feet away. The second is the same door, same distance, with the LED on "high."

CONCLUSIONS
I'm going to buy two more at least, both in white light (they offer LED colors in red, white, blue, and green).

This one was to hang on my Rhodesian recon vest as a nearly weightless light that would preserve my night vision, mostly for maps. I'm very comfortable saying it's now a dual-use item, both for vision and for SAR signaling, so I'll be buying one for my vehicle, and another for Mrs. Workin's car. At this price, buy 10 - they're worth it.
And may I say, from a moral point of view, I think there can be no justification for shoving snack cakes up your action.
--Weetabix
oilcrash

Re: INOVA LED Microlight Review

Post by oilcrash »

I purchased a red one during my mobilization training for Iraq in Sept '08; I haven't had to change the battery yet and, I still use it on low power for field training drill weekends, which is just about all of them (I do love RSTA).