SIG 556

The place for your detailed reviews and reports for guns and gear
D5CAV

SIG 556

Post by D5CAV »

After December business travel (why is business travel always scheduled in December?) & family obligations for Christmas, finally got some down time to go to the range.

This SIG 556 has been sitting unfired in the safe for about two years. This was one of the early ones that has the M16-style collapsing stock and no sights. A combat rifle without iron sights just doesn't work for me.

About a year ago, I finally found some iron sights that looked reasonable (by SIG, so they were very pricey). They are SIG copies of the HK G3 style sights, but in typical SIG manner, are not as good. The rear drum is larger, has a weak spring (for easy adjustment) and feels like the spindle can be bent with a single drop. The G3 sights are a pain to adjust and feel like you could pound tent pegs with them. I would trade off adjustment for ruggedness, but SIG didn't ask my opinion.

I didn't like the sling it came with -- some cheap nylon strap. I got an old G3 sling (my favorite combat sling), and rigged it to fit on the SIG 556.

I finally took the combo to the range to get zero. Adjustment was quick and easy. I love the G3-style sight picture. For me, it is the fastest iron sight to get a good sight picture.

The sight feels flimsy to me. We'll see how it holds up.

I also tried a Bushnell Holo-sight. There was plenty of space on the rail for both the iron sight & the holo sight. The Holo-sight floats the little laser pattern just above the iron sights, so cheek weld is about the same with both sights.

I didn't care for the holo sight. In daylight, the sight is a bit dim. At dusk, the sight is too bright. Yes, you can adjust it down, but if you turn the light off, it defaults to highest power on turn-on.

Accuracy - I shot the same with the iron sights & holo sight. The G3 sling worked great with the rifle. I shot a number of different positions with the sling & both sights. The iron sights were as fast as the holo sight. The trigger on the SIG 556 is great. It is one of the best factory triggers I've felt and the best I've felt on a combat rifle. It rivals a match-tuned M14 trigger.

Ejection is best described as 'positive', as in G3-style 'positive'. The brass doesn't end up with the G3 jail stripes, but it has a good ding in the side of the case and the case gets launched a good 15 yards downrange.

Groups were tighter than an AR15 HBAR shooting the same ammo.

No failures to fire or jams with 100 rounds in a brand new rifle. I really like this rifle.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Kommander

Re: SIG 556

Post by Kommander »

I have one of these as well, though mine came with the crappy flip up popsicle stick sights. I have since replaced them with a Magpul rear and MI front sight. If you don't like the front handguard, and most people don't, you can upgrade to the new classic style for about $80. This will save you a bit of weight on the front end, and you can still mount accessories via bolt on rails. I am about to get a new buffer tube for my 556 as my folder broke and I really don't trust it anymore. For now I am just getting the basic hardware, but eventually I want to get a stock hinge from ACE.