Armscor .38 SP: uhhh....

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
MiddleAgedKen

Armscor .38 SP: uhhh....

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Last Sunday afternoon I was at the range, practicing .38SP (Taurus 85-3; don't @me :mrgreen: ). Went through one box of Fiocchi 130-gr. with no trouble at all (the Taurus also goes bang reliably every time with whatever Remington or Federal I feed it).

Fiocchi gone and brass recovered, I broke out a box of Armscor 158-gr. (The most convenient place for me to get ammo is my local Dunham's -- they always have .38SP but the selection varies). Loaded four speedloaders and the revolver and got to work. Work in this case consisted of twelve -- count 'em, twelve -- FTFs in 25 rounds. :? Primers were definitely struck, and to my (admittedly untutored) eye didn't look like light strikes.

To be minimally fair, the revolver is due for cleaning (probably about 300 rounds since the last cleaning, maybe?), but that seems excessive. I was concerned early last winter about having 5-6 FTFs with Aguila per 50 rounds. One of the other members of my club said there have been primer issues with Aguila, so I gave it a detail cleaning, swore off Aguila and shot mostly Remington (both 130- and 158-gr. flavors) until last weekend with 100% reliable pew.

I'll give it a cleaning, and then try the other 25 rounds of Armscor and issue a follow-up report.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
MiddleAgedKen

Re: Armscor .38 SP: uhhh....

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Follow-up: I tried the remaining 25 rounds of Armscor plus the failed 12 after cleaning the revolver. I still have 17 rounds :roll: , so I've stuck a crowbar in my wallet and bought a bullet-puller.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!