Primers shelf life

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
blackeagle603

Primers shelf life

Post by blackeagle603 »

So what do all y'all do with primers you've had stashed for a long time? Moisture uptake is the only issue, si?

So are they going to be reliable out of the box after sitting some years? Or should one do a drying operation (either boxed/bagged with dessicant or some time at low heat in an oven)?
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
HTRN

Re: Primers shelf life

Post by HTRN »

If they been stored somewhere dry with stable temperature, they should be good for decades.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Precision

Post by Precision »

I have used primers that were 10+ years old and they worked fine. Stored in a 30 cal ammo can for that entire period.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

I don't really know, but I can't see how some time with a desiccant would hurt.
evan price

Post by evan price »

I bought some Federal primers that were so old they didn't have bar coding on the boxes. They were the old small boxes.
All worked fine. I only paid $25/k for them.
As long as they are stored in a cool dry place they last almost forever.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!