Just started 3 Gun

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
BDK

Re: Just started 3 Gun

Post by BDK »

I broke a Mossberg 500 and an A300 that day as well...

I had just stopped competing at the time. I'm not sure if part of the issue was just using too much force - my 'smith couldn't figure out what locked up the 500
Precision

Post by Precision »

blackeagle603 wrote:What was it about the 870 in particular running those courses?
running a pump gun is slower than running a semi.
I am NOT a shotgun wizard

capacity is 6+1 with a plus 2 tube. The stages routinely had at least 8 shotgun targets in a row. That means reloads and I suck at reloading. I just need practice, but I didn't have my Invictus practical shell holder until a day before the match...

The crossbolt safety cost me time at unsafing and resafing. side note, I was unaware I could unsafe prior to the buzzer.

I had a bad primer on one shell. I had a bad crimp on another that foiled feeding and I had a user induced short stroke jam. All of which crippled my time on one of the stages.

In fairness, I could run it better next time. Less user stupid and I can practice reloads between now and then. But, I think I am going to get sponsored with a semi auto...so looks like either a Breda 12i or a Mossberg 930 JM.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
randy

Post by randy »

One of the reasons I shot skeet with my Mossberg 500, despite the handicap on second shots vs an autoloader or over/under was to get used to manipulating it under stress.

I even shot a round with the riot barrel once for S&Gs. About worthless on the crossing stations, but abolute murder on the birds at the end stations! :twisted:
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

I would also look at the Benelli M2, they have a model designed specifically for 3 gun, and the inertia system is more rugged than a typical gas system at the cost of increased recoil.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Pump gun seems to be the way to go for door breaching though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRZEq42J2NU
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Precision

Post by Precision »

We did our second 3 gun match. I had a great time, but I did fail at being better.
Mostly an equipment issue. My 870 ate itself. First it wouldn't lift into the chamber, so I had to do the gravity tilt to get the shell in line. Once I figured that out, I could at least make it run.

THEN the lifter started randomly staying stuck in UP position. Thus racking a round straight onto the ground two feet in front of me. It was roughly a 70% shotgun match. I shot less than 20 rounds of rifle combined in the 4 stages.

I did good on the rifle part. I felt like I did better on the pistol part then before. I only took 7 or 8 shots to clear a 5 point Texas Star and it was my first time doing it.

Shotgun times were SLOW with all the mechanical issues, but despite that I was able to finish. Gave me lots of practice in making it work under pressure.

Breda does not seem to be in any hurry to send me the "promised sponsor gun". Now I have to figure if I want to borrow a gun that will put me into unlimited class or break down and buy the Stoeger M3k. I know as soon as I buy it, the Breda will show up. Also there is really only about another 6 weeks in the season here. So I may wait on the purchase.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
randy

Post by randy »

Look at this way, your leaning more from the problems than if everything had run smoothly
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

Netpackrat wrote:Pump gun seems to be the way to go for door breaching though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRZEq42J2NU
That M26 shotty baffled me the first time I saw it. It was used by one of the ladies in the first GI Joe (/hackspit) movie. I thought it was just a crufted up collection of parts when I got a good look at it. IIRC, they tried to pass it off as having some kind of precision element to it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.