Question about Brass

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
Wrenchbender1

Question about Brass

Post by Wrenchbender1 »

Hey guys, I had a quick question. I recently picked up a few bags of "once fired" brass and have come across quite a few pieces that look like the one pictured (Same brass, just rotated 180) below. There's no visible ring on the inside of the case. Could this be caused by an out of round chamber, or is there another issue? Also, do you guys have any recommendations on reloading books for someone just getting started?
Beware lest in your anxiety to avoid war you obtain a master.
- Demosthenes
randy

Re: Question about Brass

Post by randy »

Been awhile, but IIRC I've seen similar dents coming from FN semi-autos. (or was it H und K? don't remember), but whichever brand, it was a consistent characteristic of spent brass.

Are you talking books about reloading, or reloading manuals?

For reloading manuals I've always kept 2 or 3 to cross reference, particularly when approaching upper limit loads.

Specifically RCBS, Lee and Hornady. I figure if a load checks good across all three, it's good to go.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Precision

Post by Precision »

when I have brass that gets that pinched, it goes in the waste bin. Too much chance of work hardening, pin holes, wall thinning... Brass is cheap

I use the Lyman book and the Speer book as my two go to manuals. Many other books are just as good. With a new load, I always cross check the two for max load for the powder I am using and quite often they are different. I err on the side of the weaker one and work my way up to the stronger one if I am looking for a max load.
I also look up loads on some of the other manufacturer sites if my books don't have the powder or bullet weight I want.
Then load data and other websites.

Last and most dangerous, bubba's secret recipe on a forum.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Precision wrote:when I have brass that gets that pinched, it goes in the waste bin. Too much chance of work hardening, pin holes, wall thinning... Brass is cheap
Yep, exactly.

The 7.62x51 I use in my G3 gets quite marred between the flutes in the chamber and the dent from the ejector. I just buy once fired NATO style brass (which is cheap), load/shoot it once and pitch it.

The 308 I use in my bolt guns I use until it shows signs of wear (cracks, whatever).

It is what it is, no point in trying to save a few pennies when your eyes / face are at stake.
Wrenchbender1

Post by Wrenchbender1 »

randy wrote:Are you talking books about reloading, or reloading manuals?
Basically, I'm looking for a good starter book. I've been tossing the idea of reloading around for some time, but never decided to take the plunge until now.

Also, I should probably clarify that the case I was asking about is the upper one. The lower one was crushed so I didn't accidentally put it back into circulation (Cracked neck). The odd thing with the upper one is that the case expanded more to one side than the other.
- Demosthenes
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

To me, that ring is similar to one created when you full length size a piece of brass.

I'd question if it really was "once-fired."

As long as there aren't excessive dents or puckers or cracks, I'd say keep loading them.

I have 1k "dented" and unfired 5.56 that I'm wondering what to do with. Lots of cracked necks, excessive dents, and is generally in poor condition. I'd got it to make 300BO out of, but I ended up not going in that direction.

I loaded a couple dozen with a 55 grn frangible round and 22 grns of 4895. They shot well enough, but some cases cracked badly, one running nearly the full length from shoulder to recess.

Maybe I can just salvage the primers...

Incidentally, I like the Nosler Reloading Manuals.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

An AK will dent brass like that too; it hits the top cover there during ejection. The ring looks like a resizing mark. I have found that when you buy "once fired" brass that really just translates into "shit some guy picked up at the range", some of which may actually be once fired.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Wrenchbender1

Post by Wrenchbender1 »

Would the ring show up after the cartridge was fired? Obviously, I have no idea how many times this brass was reused, but it was delivered with the old primers still in place. As for the definition of "once fired", at the price quoted I could afford to take a gamble. It seems like unless it's .223, .308, or 9mm, finding brass that's truly once fired is a bit of a crapshoot.
- Demosthenes
Gunnuts

Post by Gunnuts »

Wrenchbender1 wrote:Basically, I'm looking for a good starter book.
When I bought my RCBS starter kit, it included a Speer 11 (now 14) reloading manual.

I also have a couple versions of the Lyman reloading manual, an Accurate and Hornady.

The Lyman has a lot of lead bullet data. They're all specific to their brand of bullets and/or powder.

They all have a lot of good information on good reloading practices.

I reload cases until they split or show signs of impending head separation (especially in rifles).
Jered

Post by Jered »

Looks like brass that a PTR-91/G-3/CETME ate and shat out.

If they have lines of carbon on the case mouth, that's almost certainly what happened.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.