North Korean "grenade launchers"

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
Steamforger

North Korean "grenade launchers"

Post by Steamforger »

linky

TL;DR
“This was more about sending a message than being combat effective,” said Michael Pregent, a former Army Intelligence Officer with over 28 years of experience working conflicts around the world and now an adjunct fellow at the Hudson Institute in Washington, D.C.

Some of the most memorable images to emerge from North Korea’s dramatic parade featured the special operations “commandos” who were carrying what appeared to be AK-47’s with grenade-launching capabilities. There’s just one problem, Pregent said. “Where are the magazines? There's no place for the magazine to go with the mock grenade launcher in the way,” Pregent noted, calling it a “fake capability.”
NORK Helical Magazine. Also, no mention at all about the NORK Overfolder stocks.

I've not heard anything about how reliable the helicals are on an AK, but it isn't necessarily new tech either.

I guess some experts just aren't gun folks.

ETA- He also doesn't seem to understand rifle grenades, RPGs, and chrome plating.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg

Re: North Korean "grenade launchers"

Post by Greg »

He's a former member of "Military Intelligence". :lol: :lol:
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

It looks like the story has already been updated with regards to the magazines but the comments about the RPGs, rifle grenades, and choke aging are still there. He is right in that those RPGs were likely freshly painted dummies or disarmed warheads. His fixation on their SFs sunglasses is silly though. Apparently to be real SF you need Oakley's or something.

We should bear in mind though that all of this is being vectored through a reporter who know nothing about any of this, so it's possible that some of these inaccuracies are on the reporter and not the MI guy.
randy

Post by randy »

Steamforger wrote: NORK Helical Magazine.
...allows for a high number of 5.45 x 39 mm cartridges to be carried without the notable increases in size and unwieldiness...
I'd hate to see what he does consider "notable increases in size and unwieldiness"
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I would be kind of interested to see how that helical mag locks into an AK magwell, assuming those rifles will still accept regular mags.

Also, kind of looking forward to regime change there because Type 88 parts kits. :twisted:
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop