Some Quality Time at the Reloading Bench

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
Rumpshot

Some Quality Time at the Reloading Bench

Post by Rumpshot »

Spent about 2 1/2 hours yesterday finding things, setting up the press and loading 150 rounds of .30-06.

Did not take into consideration, before starting, that 45 grain loads of IMR 4895 will take a pound of powder for 155 rounds. Got real close to using that pound up. I do have more...

CCI #34 primers, 45 grains IMR 4895, Hornaday Match 168 grain HPBT in HXP 80 Korean brass.

The Dillon Precision RB550 does a fine job. I could have loaded another 100 rounds or so, but will leave that til another day. Perhaps today. I have lots of 5.56/.223 and 9MM cleaned and prepped.

I also need to setup my .22-250 dies and get some .22-250 loaded up.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
Rumpshot

Re: Some Quality Time at the Reloading Bench

Post by Rumpshot »

I did not comment on another post about cleaning brass, but think I did some time ago mention the Frankford Arsenal Rotary Tumbler that I use to clean my brass now.

I love it. Pricey it was (cost me $145 on Amazon), but really leaves the brass nice. The filthy stuff I run for about an hour or so to knock of the nasty stuff, then I use my Dillon Universal Decapper and decap the brass. Then I load it up for a 2-3 hour run and let it go. With the brass decapped, the primer pockets come out reasonably clean and the 2-3 hour run leaves the brass looking new.

Getting the pins out of the solution and from the brass does take a magnet. I started using a microwave magnetron magnet, but graduated to a proper magnet.

I use Lemishine and Dawn in my solution.

I am sure glad that I had the deep sink installed in the laundry room!
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

I would like to get some reloading going again; after years of minimal rifle time at the range I've found a place I can do at least once a month and that can handle all the calibers I use. But right now the bench is covered with engine parts.

I wonder if I can get my wife to 'not mind' if I reload inside the house...
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Rich Jordan wrote:I would like to get some reloading going again; after years of minimal rifle time at the range I've found a place I can do at least once a month and that can handle all the calibers I use. But right now the bench is covered with engine parts.

I wonder if I can get my wife to 'not mind' if I reload inside the house...
Ther is a reason that my home office is in the basement (finished one) - both my desk and reloading bench are there. I clean my guns there too.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Rich Jordan wrote:I wonder if I can get my wife to 'not mind' if I reload inside the house...
The first apartment Mrs. NPR and I had together in college, I had a reloading bench set up in the bedroom. Wonder if she would still go for that today... Image
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Build a folding one using one of those cheap HF folding worktables..
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

We have a Black and Decker Workmate that might work ok; the real issue is space. Garage has none, and while I might be able too reload inside, leaving the table inside, even folded, is not going to be well received. But it may be the only option for the near future. I expect I could get away with it on weekends.
Denis

Post by Denis »

Don't neglect PawPaw's wisdom on this issue:

http://www.castbullet.com/reload/table.htm