Reloading woes

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
BDK

Re: Reloading woes

Post by BDK »

So, I have a Dillon 650, set up for 45, but never used.

I may set it up for 327, since I like shooting 327, and I can't just buy more of it.

Though, I don't shoot that much of it.

I'm also thinking a Forster Co-Ax would make more sense, though I already have a Redding... Ultra mag? Their press for 50BMG/Safari rounds/etc
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

My taste in trimmers leans towards wilson, but for a production trimmer, I like the dillon over the girauld, which references of the shoulder, which is do not care for.

In hand primers, I like the sinclair. The lee has the downside of being cast out of pot metal.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

JAG2955 wrote:So then the Lee priming system disintegrated on me today. I got it back together, but there's about 7 unaccounted for primers in the garage. It should make the next vacuuming session a little more interesting.
Which one is this? Mine came with a little lever style priming tool tha fits under the turret on the plunger. I have never had an issue with it.
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

Yeah, the big plastic arm and primer tray came apart on me. It's just a friction fit between the channel and the flip tray, and somehow I pulled it apart while priming. I'm guessing that the ones I caught are going to be duds, while the ones that lay on the floor for eons will explode in the shopvac.

I did have one of the metal L-shaped primer arms that go underneath the shell holder get destroyed last year at this time. Somehow it got a little off-center, and the cup got smashed against the shell holder. Granted, Lee's customer service is great. Email them a pic, they send you a part the next day.
Denis

Post by Denis »

HTRN wrote:My taste in trimmers leans towards wilson, but for a production trimmer, I like the dillon over the girauld, which references of the shoulder, which is do not care for.

In hand primers, I like the sinclair. The lee has the downside of being cast out of pot metal.
Those Wilson trimmers look nice. I have a Redding, which opeates on the same principle, but without the bushing/holder to guarantee parallelism.

I like my Sinclair hand primer, which is nicely made, and gives decent feedback of seating the primer properly. It needs two improvements: they could have rounded off the actuating lever a bit to make it more comfortable for long use, and it doesn't take a trayload of primers, unlike the Lee offering, so it has to be loaded one primer at a time, which is tedious. If I could find a way to marry the Lee tray to the nicely made Sinclair tool, it'd be a real winner.

I have to agree about Lee's customer service being excellent. I have called them twice, and both times they sent improved or replacement parts quickly and at no charge.
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

I have a Redding trimmer (hand powered) and it works fine. But I also bought a few sets of the Lee trimmers that you chuck onto a drill; "Cutter and Lock Stud" plus Case length gauge and shell holder (per caliber). The case mouths come out a little rougher than with the Redding, but case OAL is just as precise, and once you deburr the cases its hard to tell the difference. And it is substantially faster (for a single-shot tool).

Not that I'd turn down a Giraud or Dillon, and I would certainly consider a progressive with a trimming station if I was able to shoot enough to justify the cost.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I'm pretty happy with my Forster trimmer. I have their power adapter for it, which allows me to hook up a cordless screwdriver to the shaft. Some may remember from the 7.62x25mm reloading thread, that I was able to get Forster to make me a custom sized neck reamer for thinning the necks of my reformed 5.56 cases. That may or may not have some applicability to reloading for .300 BLK.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Cost of Hornady LNL-AP is much lower with the bullet deal coupon. Then the cost delta increases further for every caliber changeover you make.

Would be delighted to have a Dillon. The math and money worked out big time to the LNL-AP advantage though so I went that route and am very happy with the press.

As for Hornady's customer service. It's been outstanding. I break it, bend or loose a fiddly bit and they won't take my money no matter how hard I try. They just answer the phone right away, are Fly-over state friendly while on the line, over the top helpful and ship out free. Feel a bit guilty everytime I've had to call and they cover my foulup at their expense.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story