M1 match ammo

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
tcourtplayer

M1 match ammo

Post by tcourtplayer »

So since Uncle Sam has determined I need to spend the next dew years in CA a large portion of my collection is sitting at my dad's house for now. I do still have my handful of rifles that are CA legal. On that note I'm trying to build up my match grade ammo for those that are left. The one I'm having trouble finding a good source on is 30.06 match grade ammo that will work in a M1 Garand.
JAG: So why do you need armor piercing ammo?
tcourtplayer: Zombies
JAG: For when they hide behind engine blocks?
tcourtplayer: Just because the movies say they will be dumb and slow doesn't make it true.
JAG: WOW!!!
Steamforger

Re: M1 match ammo

Post by Steamforger »

Tried Mexican Match?

I take a surplus 7.62x51 round, currently Portuguese, pull the boolet (save it for .300 BLK perhaps...), change the powder from the whatever ball powder it comes with to IMR 4895 and seat a Hornady 168 grn Amax. I change the powder because the Nato rounds are loaded a tad hot for a Rem 700 (bolt gets sticky) and the 4895 is a bit more predictable.

Results are excellent. I'm sure the same could be done for '06.
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

tcourtplayer wrote:So since Uncle Sam has determined I need to spend the next dew years in CA a large portion of my collection is sitting at my dad's house for now. I do still have my handful of rifles that are CA legal. On that note I'm trying to build up my match grade ammonia for those that are left. The one I'm having trouble finding a good source on is 30.06 match grade ammo that will work in a M1 Garand.
Steamforger wrote:Tried Mexican Match?

I take a surplus 7.62x51 round, currently Portuguese, pull the boolet (save it for .300 BLK perhaps...), change the powder from the whatever ball powder it comes with to IMR 4895 and seat a Hornady 168 grn Amax. I change the powder because the Nato rounds are loaded a tad hot for a Rem 700 (bolt gets sticky) and the 4895 is a bit more predictable.

Results are excellent. I'm sure the same could be done for '06.
With respect, I'm stumped trying to figure out what possible use Answer B is to Question A.
I'm pretty smart, and although I don't reload (yet), I am at a loss what good a case that won't cycle or feed, with any bullet or powder, is going to do for a surplus .30-06 Garand. Just saying.

I'm assuming tcourt would be starting with empty brass, new empty or surplus fired, purpose-bought bullets, and the appropriate powder. 4895 was the actual choice for the classic load, but I'm sure there are performance substitutes from other makers.
Also, IIRC, M1 Garand Match would be loaded with 48 grains of IMR 4895 behind the 173 grain, 9-degree boat-tail M1 Type bullet, it gave a muzzle velocity of 2640 fps. It was standardized as the M72 in mid-1958 (FA 58 MATCH). But actual M118 projectiles are getting scarce. You would be better served to work up your own load using Sierra 168 or 175gr. MatchKings. I also would not use any data from the Internet without starting low and working your way back up.

Or, you could try and find the Hornady M1 Garand (ersatz) National Match ammo.
Hornady.com wrote:"Hornady 30-06 M1 Garand Match Ammunition is purpose built to allow safe and accurate firing of the M1 rifle, while providing match-winning accuracy. Loaded with a 168 gr A-MAX bullet that launches at 2,710 feet per second, Hornady M1 Garand Ammunition features carefully designed medium burn propellants that protect the M1 rifles' gas port system, meeting all SAAMI guidelines."
My GoogleFu shows that Hornady catalogs it as Item #81170, .30-06 Vintage Match on page 17 of their 2016 online catalog.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

I'm really short on time right now and can expand later but when I do this, as others here do as well, I get a consistent enough case for what I do with regards to length and volume, a primer for a machine gun round, and all I do is swap powder and seat a new bullet. This lets me take a hot 147 grn NATO round and make something more akin to a commercially available match round. I haven't done a cost analysis, but I'm certain it's cheaper than shelling out Fed GMM and it works just fine.

I'm fairly certain most Garand shooters have some surplus '06 laying around which is what I was getting at.

ETA- My point is my doing this with .308 was an example, not verbatim instructions. The end where I said something like "I'm sure the same could be done for '06" was an important bit. No doubt, he can spend $1.50 per round for some match stuff. Good on him for doing so. I have literally thousands of South African, Portuguese, and British .308 Nato rounds that my bolt guns really don't like. The bullet is too light and the powder charge is too heavy. Pulling that bullet, weighing out 38 grains of 4895, and seating a 168 Amax is literally about the easiest "reloading" a person can do. I get a roughly Fed GMM round equivalent for significantly less which equals more shooting. A kinetic puller, a Lee "Stapler" press, basic dies and some components are all that's needed IF one has some surplus ammo at hand. If he can't find match stuff, the "Mexican Match" is a useful alternative. That's all I was getting at.
Last edited by Steamforger on Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

CMP sells Hornady loaded for the Garand ($286/200 Rd), and also Greek HXP ($115/192 on clips in bandos or $135/200 loose).

If you OR your rifle are too accurate for HXP you need to reload and work up your own loads.
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

In the 90's when the Port 7.62 was $150 a case I'd pull the 147's, dump the powder, re-weigh the propellant @ 1 grain less and reload the cases with the reduced charge and USGI 172-3's (1500 for $50 from DCM!!). My son made the Ohio State Jr. Team shooting it. The Porto was super-accurate as-factory-loaded at the 200 and 300 after being cracked and the Mexmatch 173's held the 10/X at the 600.

ETA: the pulled Porto 147's were superb for the Garand and the M1A @ the 200 yd club matches
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
Jered

Post by Jered »

I've never heard of match grade ammonia.

My US Rifle, Caliber .30, M1 happens to be the entire reason that I got started reloading.

Hint. Hint.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Well if by CA, you mean NASNI, then there's always my bench and a couple evenings of fun at the press.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
tcourtplayer

Post by tcourtplayer »

Thank you all, I'll look into the Horniday until I get a chance to reload again.
blackeagle603 wrote:Well if by CA, you mean NASNI, then there's always my bench and a couple evenings of fun at the press.
I am at NASNI again, speaking of which we should try and do a SoCal meet up again sometime in the next, oh say, two years.
JAG: So why do you need armor piercing ammo?
tcourtplayer: Zombies
JAG: For when they hide behind engine blocks?
tcourtplayer: Just because the movies say they will be dumb and slow doesn't make it true.
JAG: WOW!!!