M1 match ammo

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
Netpackrat

Re: M1 match ammo

Post by Netpackrat »

Jered wrote:I've never heard of match grade ammonia.
It's made by Horniday.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Denis

Post by Denis »

This any help?

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/ammo-parts-accessories/
444H3006 : Hornady .30-06 Spr. Ammunition (200 rds/case)
Hornady .30-06 Spr. Ammunition
Caliber: .30-06 Spr. Bullet: 168 gr. A-Max Rds: 200/case Velocity: 2700 fps. at the muzzle Note: Loaded specifically for use in M1 Garands, 1903 Springfield rifles. Free Shipping Hornady match rifle ammunition is loaded with the most accurate, consistent match bullets in the world: Hornady's sophisticated boattail hollow point match bullets and technologically advanced A-Max Match bullets, specially selected cases, and then final hand inspected to assure quality.
Price: $286.00
NVGdude

Post by NVGdude »

168 grain Matchking, CCI or Winchester primer, 46 grains of IMR 4064
That was the old standby match load for decades when the M1 ruled the high power field.

If you are shooting at under 400 yards (say one of the 200 yard reduced size target courses of fire, then instead load:
150 grain flat base match bullet, 47 grains IMR 4895. If substituting H4895 reduce by about 0.5 grains.

Single stage press, 2x8, couple of C clamps and you can reload anywhere.
randy

Post by randy »

Making this a sticky to make it easier to find for future reference.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
randy

Post by randy »

Just my 2 bits worth, the load I use.

Don't claim it's match grade but it functions well in my Garand and seems to be more accurate that I am, including being able to keep them in black and making an X the one match I shot at 600 Yards.

Winchester 147gr FMJBT

47.0 grains Win 748

Winchester Large Rifle primers

In large part, powder choice was due to having a bunch on hand for loading .223 Rem for my AR, and since I found reasonable load data for .30-06...

Not exactly scientific, I'm certainly no ammo/accuracy guru, but I have so far managed to avoid damaging or blowing up one of my guns. YMMV etc.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Have you considered a vented gas cylinder plug for the M1s? There are units that use different size 'jets' and also adjustables by loosening or tightening a screw. The venting reduces the peak and impulse pressure in the gas system. If you're willing to do some testing, it allows you to use commercial ammunition that would otherwise generate too high pressure and so risk damage to the op-rod.

Some also claim similar benefits from plugs that are hollowed out to provide a larger initial volume but don't otherwise vent.

So you can leave off the 'Garand-safe' medium pressure requirements when searching for match ammo. Per some of the best Garand armorers I had the opportunity to read in the past, the actual action is more than strong enough to handle any SAAMI-spec .30-06 load; the gas system is the "weak" point for high pressure loads.
NVGdude

Post by NVGdude »

Rich Jordan wrote:Have you considered a vented gas cylinder plug for the M1s?

Per some of the best Garand armorers I had the opportunity to read in the past, the actual action is more than strong enough to handle any SAAMI-spec .30-06 load; the gas system is the "weak" point for high pressure loads.
Schuster plug $37 from Midway

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/777146 ... parkerized

The M1 action is ridiculously strong, as Rich says, the issue is modern slow powder providing too much gas at the gas port.
Jered

Post by Jered »

NVGdude wrote: Schuster plug $37 from Midway

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/777146 ... parkerized

The M1 action is ridiculously strong, as Rich says, the issue is modern slow powder providing too much gas at the gas port.
IIRC, according to Hatcher's Notebook, it took 120,000 PSI to crack one of the lugs.

It fired 5000 rounds fine after that.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

Steamforger » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:37 am

Tried Mexican Match?

I take a surplus 7.62x51 round.....

Results are excellent. I'm sure the same could be done for '06.
Aesop » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:07 am

With respect, I'm stumped trying to figure out what possible use Answer B is to Question A.
I'm pretty smart, and although I don't reload (yet), I am at a loss what good a case that won't cycle or feed, with any bullet or powder, is going to do for a surplus .30-06 Garand. Just saying.
Steamforger » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:18 pm

I'm fairly certain most Garand shooters have some surplus '06 laying around which is what I was getting at.
This still pisses me off re-reading it.
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

Let me leave this here:
https://youtu.be/ZQ_F1riBth8
"Islam delenda est" Aesop