.308 Practice Ammo

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
rightisright

.308 Practice Ammo

Post by rightisright »

What are you cats using for your .308 everyday-range ammo these days? I am finally getting around to doing an AR-10 build (parts should be here early next week). I feed my .308 bolties a steady diet of Federal 168g Match King BTHP, but that is rather pricey for plinking/training w. a battle rifle.

Aim has this stuff on sale: http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx? ... 9-17912341

Any other suggestions?

P.S. Please don't suggest reloading. I have neither the patience nor the time to do so. And Carpal Tunnel Syndrome makes it a complete bitch to work w. small things (no schlong jokes...) for any extended period of time.
Netpackrat

Re: .308 Practice Ammo

Post by Netpackrat »

Given that Turkey is a NATO member, is still using 7.62x51 NATO cartridge in their infantry rifles, and that company loads it for them, it is probably okay.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

I can only speak to South African and Portuguese NATO surplus,but have found both to be excellent range day, not in the LTR ammo.
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Netpackrat wrote:Given that Turkey is a NATO member, is still using 7.62x51 NATO cartridge in their infantry rifles, and that company loads it for them, it is probably okay.
I've been reading some reviews. Consensus seems it's dirty and not all that accurate, but goes bang all the time.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

I picked up some of the ZQI recently. It shoots okay. As stated, it's supposedly NATO standard; not match ammo, but it goes bang just fine.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I mostly use PRVI and PMC as my .308 range ammo of choice.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Netpackrat wrote:I mostly use PRVI and PMC as my .308 range ammo of choice.

I have some PRVI stuff that is supposed to mimic the Federal 168g HPBT stuff. It's not as accurate, at least in my bolties. But I wouldn't hesitate to use it if I needed to.

The PRVI FMJ stuff seems to have a good rep, too.

That said, I just ordered 500 rounds of the ZQI .308 147g FMJ.... and a 5.56 Nickel Boron BCG just for the hell of it.

Range report(s) to follow.
Denis

Post by Denis »

I bought a thousand rounds of MEN (Metalwerke Elise Nassau) headstamped German NATO surplus Berdan-primed 7.62x51 FMJ. Unfortunately, the stuff is loaded insanely hot - stuck bolt, flattened headstamp, squashed primers, the whole works... Either it's special MG-only ammunition, or they had a serious QC problem. I don't want to scrap it entirely, so I can see myself setting up the Forster .308 bullet puller collet in the press to take out the projectiles. Then I'll dump out all the powder, weigh it, and reduce the loads by probably 10-15% by weight and see what the pressure signs are like, or I might just fertilise the garden with the original powder, and replace it with some known-good Vihtavuori.
evan price

Post by evan price »

Federal xm80 white box, or american eagle 150gr comes on sale four fifty cents a round periodically.
Both appear identical, fc headstamp brass with recent dates.
And yes I reload.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

Denis wrote:I bought a thousand rounds of MEN (Metalwerke Elise Nassau) headstamped German NATO surplus Berdan-primed 7.62x51 FMJ. Unfortunately, the stuff is loaded insanely hot - stuck bolt, flattened headstamp, squashed primers, the whole works... Either it's special MG-only ammunition, or they had a serious QC problem.
MEN 7.62 NATO is on sale right now at botachtactical.com

Get it while you can. It doesn't come up for sale that often. The last time I bought some was 3 or 4 years ago.

I buy it when I can find it. I like MEN ammo. I like that it is hot.

I shoot it out of G3 and M14 clones. I've had no trouble. Actually, guns that have cycling issues with Winchester white box ammo run great with the MEN ammo.

I'd offer to relieve you of your MEN ammo, Denis, but the EU free trade doesn't seem to extend to ammo shipments to the US.

What are you shooting your MEN ammo out of that is giving you problems?
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe