Revolvers, Brass, and Primers

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
Netpackrat

Re: Revolvers, Brass, and Primers

Post by Netpackrat »

For the time and expense involved in obtaining a second slide for my 29 (I have one with red dot, and one with only irons), I wish I had just bought a second pistol. Actually, I am almost wishing I had turned my G20 into a G29L instead.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

Here's an update to this thread, which is half about my S&W 325, and the other half about other people's disappointing gun purchases. Since we don't get much outside traffic, and since thread-jacking is a sport around here:

S&W returned my 325. It says that they replaced the firing pin and mainspring. At first I was pissed because if that's all it was, that's unacceptable for a Performance Center revolver. Then I was dry-firing it, and it appears that the firing pin protrudes MUCH farther than it did before. I'll have to dig out a magnifying glass and see if they drilled the firing pin channel deeper.

Of course, the proof will be in the range trip.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Like the man said, "If it's a stupid idea, but it works, it's not stupid."

That being said, S&W is not alone, all the major manufacturers are having quality issues, some more severe than others. Part of it is the fact that nearly anything that goes bang is sold by the time it gets out of the factory door, and part of it is that the old-timers who used to do the fitting and polishing and tuning are retiring, and the new crop of employees don't seem to have the patience to wait 20 years to move into a job like that, or to learn what it takes to actually do a job like that. Which is kinda sad, in a way.

Colt couldn't make the Python now for less than $2K a pop, or a 1950s Gold Cup for less than $3K, and nothing from S&W has the kind of trigger that a stock 50s and 60s era Model 19 had, even from the Performance Center. And we all recall the rise-and-fall of Remington's R51 a few years back.

We seem to have more variety, but less quality.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

I want you to love that 325, because I want to love one myself someday.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Greg

Post by Greg »

First Shirt wrote:Like the man said, "If it's a stupid idea, but it works, it's not stupid."

That being said, S&W is not alone, all the major manufacturers are having quality issues, some more severe than others. Part of it is the fact that nearly anything that goes bang is sold by the time it gets out of the factory door, and part of it is that the old-timers who used to do the fitting and polishing and tuning are retiring, and the new crop of employees don't seem to have the patience to wait 20 years to move into a job like that, or to learn what it takes to actually do a job like that. Which is kinda sad, in a way.

Colt couldn't make the Python now for less than $2K a pop, or a 1950s Gold Cup for less than $3K, and nothing from S&W has the kind of trigger that a stock 50s and 60s era Model 19 had, even from the Performance Center. And we all recall the rise-and-fall of Remington's R51 a few years back.

We seem to have more variety, but less quality.
Better engineering and design overall, less use of genuinely skilled labor.

The floor is much higher, but in a number of ways the ceiling is lower.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Greg wrote: Better engineering and design overall, less use of genuinely skilled labor.

The floor is much higher, but in a number of ways the ceiling is lower.
That's the best summation I've ever seen of the situation! Thanks!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

Here's an update:

I finally pulled it apart to check S&W's work. The main spring and firing pin are VERY different. The main spring is no longer a Wolff Power Rib. More interestingly, the firing pin is about .015" longer, at about 0.5". There is a groove cut around the circumference of the hammer end of the pin, as if it's there to differentiate between models. So it definitely protrudes farther. They may have cleaned up the firing pin channel, as I can see some shiny spots, but I don't know if it is just normal wear.

Also, they reinstalled that pesky ILS that "fell out" when I did all that work. Damned if I didn't misplace it as I put everything back together. :lol:

Maybe a range trip later on this week.
toad

Post by toad »

Let the guy who buys it break it in: Ah yes run 200, no 300, or perhaps 400 rounds through it. After all if he can afford the gun he can afford the "break in" ammunition.
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

JAG2955 wrote:Here's an update:

I finally pulled it apart to check S&W's work. The main spring and firing pin are VERY different. The main spring is no longer a Wolff Power Rib. More interestingly, the firing pin is about .015" longer, at about 0.5". There is a groove cut around the circumference of the hammer end of the pin, as if it's there to differentiate between models. So it definitely protrudes farther. They may have cleaned up the firing pin channel, as I can see some shiny spots, but I don't know if it is just normal wear.

Also, they reinstalled that pesky ILS that "fell out" when I did all that work. Damned if I didn't misplace it as I put everything back together. :lol:

Maybe a range trip later on this week.
Okay, so in the other thread, I mentioned that I tried to shoot the Buffalo Bore .460 again, and failed.

But, this project may rise from the ashes. I emailed the folks at www.460Rowland.com, and they use Winchester Large Pistol Primers. I may buy a box or two from them and check it out. Their loadings appear to give the *exact* same results as BB. So far, I haven't had as much problems with pistol primers, so I'll do more in-depth testing of .45, and try these as well.
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

It lives! It lives! I'm not going to be throwing this pistol in the trashcan, or trying to unload it on some poor, unsuspecting rube!

I shot the .460Rowland.com ammo today. Only 20 rounds, but 100% fired first try. In fact, I was so enthusiastic, I forgot to save one round to pull the bullet and compare the powder type and weight to the Buffalo Bore version.

Fired two shots in single action, then the last 18 in double. 100% fired, though I did have a brief moment when I knew I was going to sell it. I fired the first two, then opened the cylinder to look at the primers. When I closed it, I mis-timed it. Whoops. :oops: After I fixed my dumbass mistake, the rest went swimmingly.

It's a bit of a handful, and I wouldn't want to fire a ton of .460 in one outing, but I think if I can reload some rounds with the same result, it'll be a keeper.