Bullet Set Back.??

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
HTRN

Re: Bullet Set Back.??

Post by HTRN »

Vonz90 wrote:I don't crimp bullets I'm reloading for use in a bolt gun. It reduces accuracy for no real advantage.
Depends on the bolt gun. Run of the mill 30-06, sure. Now imagine a heavy recoil ingredients magnum ultralight, or a serious thumper. .
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

First Shirt wrote:Actually, I think my accuracy is better with crimped loads, because the pressures are more consistent.
(Of course, this could be a case of "I may be wrong, but I'm not uncertain. ")
That's what the Hornady manual says. Consistent crimp/case neck tension = consistent pressures = consistent velocity between rounds.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

One of Peter Capstick's hunting stories involved shooting elephants on control in Botswana. He would shoot two or three, then top off the magazine in "quiet" moments, and had run probably 12-15 rounds of .458 Win. through his rifle, with one round in the bottom of the mag that went through all the recoil of the previous rounds.

When he fired that one, it was going enough faster than normal that the jacket separated from the core, recoil was noticeably stouter, and the extra pressure froze the bolt, requiring some pretty serious percussive maintenance to get it open again. The headstamp had basically been erased from the case head, primer was cratered, etc. All the signs of a very over-pressured round.

That's why everything I reload gets a crimp (either roll-crimped for rimmed cases, or taper crimped for rimless), press-checked, and checked for OAL.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom