Someday I'll find Universal in the wild again.

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
SoupOrMan

Someday I'll find Universal in the wild again.

Post by SoupOrMan »

I love that for loading .38 special, and I'm used to it for .40 S&W.

I can't find it at any of the local reloading suppliers. Nor can I find Bullseye, 231, HP-38, Unique or the like.

For .40, I have plenty of Longshot so I can make some zippier loads. I even found plenty of H-110 for loading .357 Magnum.

Longshot works fine if I want .38 +P loads, but Universal is great for practice loads.

I managed to find some Accurate Arms No.5, which seems to be between HS-6 and 800-X in burn rate. It's not what I'm used to, but it'll have to work until I get my Universal back.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
First Shirt

Re: Someday I'll find Universal in the wild again.

Post by First Shirt »

We must be doing something wrong down here, because I can find Unique just about anywhere. What I can't find is 2400, H-110, or W-296.

And while people like NPR are jonesing for Varget, we've got it all over down here, but I can't find Reloader-15, or H-4895.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Hmm. It's like they keep sending powder to the wrong places. Don't get me wrong: I do need H-110 for when I start loading .357 Magnum. I just need more Universal now since it's great for practice loads.

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

First Shirt wrote:And while people like NPR are jonesing for Varget, we've got it all over down here, but I can't find Reloader-15, or H-4895.
I was able to obtain first some one pound jugs of Varget, and then later an 8 pounder, so I am good to go for powder. All of my reloading gear is currently in boxes anyway. I would like to get my hands on some more AA1680 for when I start reloading again, for 7.62x39 and .300 Blackout. I did find 2 pounds of it, but I will need more when I get going.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
NVGdude

Post by NVGdude »

There was a very large fire at the Hodgdon factory about a year and a half ago. Completely took out the part of the line that makes Universal, Clays, and International.

Supposedly the line if back up, but they are at least 2 years behind schedule in filling orders for Universal
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

NVGdude wrote:There was a very large fire at the Hodgdon factory about a year and a half ago. Completely took out the part of the line that makes Universal, Clays, and International.

Supposedly the line if back up, but they are at least 2 years behind schedule in filling orders for Universal
Ouch. And of course that increased demand for other powders, as users of those 3 powders looked for alternatives. One thing I read with regards to Varget, is that supposedly it is imported from Australia. So, there's a bit of extra lead time getting it here and distributed. No idea how true that is though.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Netpackrat wrote:
NVGdude wrote:There was a very large fire at the Hodgdon factory about a year and a half ago. Completely took out the part of the line that makes Universal, Clays, and International.

Ouch. And of course that increased demand for other powders, as users of those 3 powders looked for alternatives. One thing I read with regards to Varget, is that supposedly it is imported from Australia. So, there's a bit of extra lead time getting it here and distributed. No idea how true that is though.
Yep, Varget is imported from Australia. The Materiel Data Safty Sheet is here. It is manufactured by Thales, Australia. I'm told that you can't buy it in Australia, but there is another powder distributed by ADI under there label that is available in that country.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
evan price

Post by evan price »

I lucked into 6-one pound cans of 2400 a month or two ago, on that trip to Cleveland where I bought the three revolvers as a package deal.
For $22.99 a pound. Was not the best price but it was the first 2400 I had seen in years.
I got to keep 2 pounds for myself and the rest went to other reloaders.

The local stores seem to get good amounts of powder but the "good stuff" like Titegroup and 2400 go really fast off the shelf.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Fudge.

Well, guess I'll be running .38 +P loads with Longshot as my practice loads for a while.

SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Whoo-hoo! I managed to score a 4-pound bottle of it today after work! I'm set for a long time now for practice loads!