Reloading .22 Long Rifle now a thing.

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
Cybrludite

Reloading .22 Long Rifle now a thing.

Post by Cybrludite »

"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
Old Grafton

Re: Reloading .22 Long Rifle now a thing.

Post by Old Grafton »

Looks interesting as a novelty; after one or two split rims I imagine most tinkerers will say "EFF this!"

I've read of it being done during WW2 out of necessity using strike-anywhere match-head tips as a priming compound. I think I'd make a set of swage dies for the bullets myself but I understand the reasoning behind casting.
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
Denis

Post by Denis »

It looks like reloading .22would be a fiddly PITA, but maybe such a kit belongs in one's TEOWAWKI supplies nonetheless.
Rod

Post by Rod »

Nah, as others have already said, I've got better ways to waste my time.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

I dunno. It might be fun, especially using Pyrodex P as a charge. I think you'd have to use that in a bolt gun, pump, or lever action rifle, or a revolver, though.

And the little 25 gr. bullet might be useful to handle small varmints.

For sure, .22 LR is not going to be as widely available, or as cheap, as it once was, so this could be a handy gadget.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Reload .22LR cases, or save cases to swage into .223 FMJ?
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

If we get to the point where reloading .22LR is necessary, I believe that I'll be re-imagining my powderpuff loads for the .30-30. I have several CB loads in that variety that are very pleasing. Certainly capable of small game and varmints. Think a 115 grain bullet at 800 fps. Quiet, deadly, and a lot less expensive than most people realize. I can reload those for less than a nickel apiece.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Captain Wheelgun

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

PawPaw wrote:If we get to the point where reloading .22LR is necessary, I believe that I'll be re-imagining my powderpuff loads for the .30-30. I have several CB loads in that variety that are very pleasing. Certainly capable of small game and varmints. Think a 115 grain bullet at 800 fps. Quiet, deadly, and a lot less expensive than most people realize. I can reload those for less than a nickel apiece.
Yep, .32 pistol bullets in any of the .30ish rounds are fun and cheap.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Ya'll been lookin' over my shoulder?
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

I'm intrigued, Paw Paw.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.