Reloading beginner - observations and questions

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
Weetabix

Reloading beginner - observations and questions

Post by Weetabix »

I bought a Lee Anniversary kit and what I think are all the requisite ancillary doohickeys. I approached it with respect and trembling last night. I decided to go slowly since it was my first time, and familiarize myself with all of the sensitive and tender areas with gentleness and a loving attitude...

I cleaned, deprimed, and neck-sized 21 pieces of brass (one was a sacrificial one for the first try in case things didn't work right.) Cleaned the primer pockets. Primed 17.

Observations:

1. It's good that Lee has photos with its assembly instructions. The names of the parts were not obvious to me. A labeled diagram with names and arrows pointing to the parts would be helpful.

2. Tumblers are annoying to listen to for any length of time. Note to self: start that and go find something else to do.

3. I set up the scale and zeroed it. An actual level surface will be helpful in using the scale.

4. A more permanent mounting of the press is in order. I screwed it to a handy, long board and put some weights on the other end. I figured one side benefit of this would be that the neck sizer said I may need at least 25 lbs pressure on the arm to size the neck properly. With 20 lbs on a 2' board and approximately 18" from the handle end to the pivot point, a bit over 25 lbs should lift the weight. That way, I shouldn't be forcing anything excessively. Yay for Statics!

5. Lee lube instructions say "apply sparingly." That's hard to measure, but I think I figured it out.

6. The primer tube works best when you have the priming arm in the piston. That was not obvious until several spent primers disappeared on the floor.

7. Hornady brass is much harder to prime than PPU brass. I've read somewhere (but couldn't find it again) that some brass, especially military, has the primer pocket crimped and may be harder to prime. Three of the Hornadys wouldn't seat flush or lower. The first couple were PPU and two didn't seat. Once I got the feel of it and retried the PPU's, they seated right.

8. I'm not incredibly impressed with the Lee Hand Primer. It seemed to operate somewhat inconsistently - sometimes failing to feed a primer, sometimes catching one at an angle in the area right before it fed. Maybe it will break in. Maybe I'm experiencing an ID10T error that I will figure out.

9. I put primer arm in the piston and tried to seat the three protruding primers in the Hornady brass figuring the greater pressure might make them seat. Safety glasses were worn, and "muzzle" discipline observed. No joy. Maybe some persuasion with a small hammer? :geek: (j/k) I think I'll try seating primers in the press next time for comparison.

10. Youtube is my friend.

11. I also used the little tool to deburr the inside and outside of the necks gently.

Questions:

1. What are your best ideas for mounting? I don't have a permanent location available, so I want something portable. Clampable seems good. The setup I put together has certain advantages, but it's cumbersomely long. I'm considering bolts with wing nuts, but I'm certainly open to other ideas. Seems like mounting it on a board that runs parallel to the work surface and clamps would have rotational instability. Having it removable from the current setup seems acceptable, but better would be better.

2. Any pointers on Lee Case Lube amounts? I was getting a very thin coating that just made the cases not shiny, and I didn't have any trouble.

3. Thoughts on spray lubes? The youtube video I watched used that, and it seemed easier. The Lee Case Lube provides dire warnings about using other lubes as they will foul powder and primer, but Lee's verbiage tends to sound a lot like an advertisement.

4. Thoughts on the Hornady brass? I'm guessing I either need to do more to the primer pocket so it will accept a primer or try another primer. I was using WLR. I may have some CCI large rifle primers that I'd bought previously in anticipation of loading.

5. Are all large rifle primers exactly the same size, or do they vary slightly?

6. Does anyone have experience with both the Lee Hand Primer and seating on the press with a Lee Loader? Any thoughts or recommendations?

Powder and bullet seating come next as time allows.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Windy Wilson

Re: Reloading beginner - observations and questions

Post by Windy Wilson »

Well, you're ahead of me, I've deprimed a huge amount of brass and cleaned some of it in a vibratory cleaner (if that's the right term), but I haven't yet done any resizing.
I also bought a separate, cheaper press to keep the deprimer gizmo on, so that's one less die to manipulate.
I use two foot-long boards to clamp the presses to the edge of a table without marring it and still get good leverage.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
randy

Post by randy »

3. Thoughts on spray lubes?
I've used the Dillon spray lube for years (decades yet) and have had no problems with it.

I place my brass on a cookie sheet (purchased specifically for this purpose to avoid the Wrath of CINCHOUSE) and spray them down in a batch (I usually do 50 to a 100 at a time on my RL550, which for rifle means it's about time to refill the primer tubes and powder resevoir)
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
randy

Post by randy »

Many moons ago when in base housing in Hawaii, and my work bench in storage, I bought a small Black and Decker work table and mounted my Dillon and MEC shotgun press to it. On the other sides I mounted a rotary case trimmer (similar to this) and a tool to remove military primer pocket crimps. Just scoot the table around to bring the tool I need at the time to the front.

Still have it even with the heavy duty work bench I have now (Dillon on the bench, don't do much shot-shell anymore so the MEC and other accessory tools are still on the work table).
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

1. What are your best ideas for mounting?
Sturdier is better, but I've reloaded by clamping a press to the kitchen table. (Bad idea, the lady got pissed.) There is more than one way to skin a cat.
2. Any pointers on Lee Case Lube amounts?
After a while, you'll figure it out. It doesn't take much, primarily on the neck and shoulder. Remember to get a dab (a tiny dab) in the case neck so that the expander button can pull through smoothly. Sometimes, I only lube every third rifle case.
3. Thoughts on spray lubes? The youtube video I watched used that, and it seemed easier.
Some people like it, but I don't. Don't ask me why, I just don't. I've been known to use lots of things as lube, to include WD40, but I tend to go back to the Lee lube. It's how I roll.
Thoughts on the Hornady brass? I'm guessing I either need to do more to the primer pocket so it will accept a primer or try another primer. I was using WLR. I may have some CCI large rifle primers that I'd bought previously in anticipation of loading.
I like Hornady brass. Use it all the time, in various calibers. If you ever run into crimped brass, you won't be able to seat a primer until you cut the crimp out, but you'll know it almost immediately. As you get more experienced, you'll know what a primer feels like as it seats. After thousands (hundreds of thousands?), I know immediately if something isn't right. It's a feel that comes with experience and you'll gather it. Two things to look for. 1) primer that seats too hard. Might be a problem. 2) primer that seats too easily, your brass is at the end of it's life.
Are all large rifle primers exactly the same size, or do they vary slightly?
They're supposed to be the same size, but they vary in hardness. I use Winchester and CCI almost exclusively, and buy depending on which is available.
6. Does anyone have experience with both the Lee Hand Primer and seating on the press with a Lee Loader? Any thoughts or recommendations?
I generally load rifle brass with the hand primer. I find it easier than using the press-mounted primer, and I do rifle ammo in small batches. For handgun ammo, I use a turret press (hoping to get a progressive soon), and I use the press-mounted primer arm for handgun ammo. For rifle ammo, I like the feel I get with the hand primer. I think it helps me make better ammo. For bulk handgun ammo, speed is essential. Especially when you're loading for minions.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

One thing I've learned about powder scales, at least the two electronic ones I've used, is that due to the small amounts being measured, they are sensitive to airflow. Try not to have a fan blowing directly toward your workspace, or you'll find it difficult to calibrate your powder dump because the values keep wandering. Ask me how I know....

Also along those lines, pay attention to your powder dump. Some powders tend to stick a bit, requiring a tap to get them to fall freely. Also, make sure air can get into the top of the hopper. Maybe it's just the Hornady powder dump, but that's been my experience.

Hopefully that saves some frustration.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

randy wrote:I place my brass on a cookie sheet (purchased specifically for this purpose to avoid the Wrath of CINCHOUSE) and spray them down in a batch...
That thought appeals to me.
PawPaw wrote:After a while, you'll figure it out. It doesn't take much, primarily on the neck and shoulder. Remember to get a dab (a tiny dab) in the case neck so that the expander button can pull through smoothly. Sometimes, I only lube every third rifle case.
The tube said don't get it on the shoulder, so I was putting it on the part of the case below the shoulder. :lol: I'll try it on the neck, next time.
PawPaw wrote:I like Hornady brass. Use it all the time, in various calibers. If you ever run into crimped brass, you won't be able to seat a primer until you cut the crimp out, but you'll know it almost immediately. As you get more experienced, you'll know what a primer feels like as it seats. After thousands (hundreds of thousands?), I know immediately if something isn't right. It's a feel that comes with experience and you'll gather it. Two things to look for. 1) primer that seats too hard. Might be a problem.
It wouldn't seat, so might be a problem. What do you think was the problem? It wouldn't go with both hands or any grip position. I elected not to use anything other than hand strength so I wouldn't detonate the recalcitrant primers.

Flood the case with oil to neutralize the primer and discard that brass? Or deprime and try again?

JustinR - when I get to that, I'll keep it in mind. Thanks.

ETA: It takes a lot of editing to get my quotes in order and my words correct. :D
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

It wouldn't seat, so might be a problem. What do you think was the problem? It wouldn't go with both hands or any grip position. I elected not to use anything other than hand strength so I wouldn't detonate the recalcitrant primers.
What caliber are we talking about? What did the headstamp say? You talk about WLR primers, so I assumed we're talking rifle brass.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

PawPaw wrote:What caliber are we talking about? What did the headstamp say? You talk about WLR primers, so I assumed we're talking rifle brass.
It's .308 Hornady. Don't have the brass here, so I can't read more. The box was Hornady Match, 168 gr, BTHP.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Another question:

Tumble, deprime/size, clean primer pocket, deburr, or
Deprime/size, clean primer pocket, deburr, tumble, or
some other order?