.22 LR Ammo Accuracy Comparison

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
Darrell

.22 LR Ammo Accuracy Comparison

Post by Darrell »

Fascinating article testing a variety of medium priced .22 lr ammunition with a variety of rifles:

http://www.dayattherange.com/?p=4691

Results might be a bit surprising.

Found via Say Uncle.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
rightisright

Re: .22 LR Ammo Accuracy Comparison

Post by rightisright »

Interesting. That would be cool if he did a bulk box comparison.

And, damn! That Kidd rifle is accurate.
Denis

Post by Denis »

Interesting, thanks!

I am very convinced that rifles in general, and .22 rifles in particular, should be tested with a large selection of ammunition from various manufacturers, brands and loads. Even two "identical" rifles will often display differing preferences for .22 ammunition.

I need another .22 target rifle like a hole in the head, but I think I'll get one of those Anschutz 54's; they regularly sell at auction in the UK for cheap.
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

Fun experimenting, for sure. A cigar box will hold quite a few 50-rd. boxes of various types of .22 and is enough for a long session of methodical testing at the bench. I've done it for years; take along cleaning gear, clean between types, and fire a couple of rounds of each new type at a corner of the target as fouling/conditioning shots before shooting a group. Great way to "shoot" a whole day. :D
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Denis wrote:but I think I'll get one of those Anschutz 54's; they regularly sell at auction in the UK for cheap.
I hate you.

I don't think I've ever seen a 54 go for under 900 dollars here.

And to be honest - I wasn't surprised by the groups - yes the 54 had the largest group size overall, but shot the smallest group. It translates as "It doesn't like crap ammo". Shoot good stuff(Fed 711b, SV target, Wolf Match, RWS, or if you can afford it Tenex) and it will put everything else to shame. About the only production rifle that may surpass them is the Coopers, but they're even more money(2500 or so).
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Denis

Post by Denis »

HTRN wrote:
Denis wrote:but I think I'll get one of those Anschutz 54's; they regularly sell at auction in the UK for cheap.
I hate you.

I don't think I've ever seen a 54 go for under 900 dollars here.
Well, let me see what can be done :-)
Glenn Bartley

Post by Glenn Bartley »

Denis wrote:Interesting, thanks!
Even two "identical" rifles will often display differing preferences for .22 ammunition.
Yes they will.

Right now, I have two Ruger 10/22's. They differ markedly in how they shoot some of the same brands/models of ammo. All of my other 22s do not have identical mates but they too all prefer different ammo from one another. It has always amazed me how well CCI Blazer shoots out of some of my pistols and rifles and pretty much could not hit the broad side of a barn out of others. Some brands/models of my 22LR ammo though has proven itself consistent junk, out of any firearm, when it comes to accuracy and reliability.

All he best,
GB
When I look in the mirror, I am happy to see, some of that nine year old boy, who used to be me.

http://ballseyesboomers.blogspot.com/