Powder funnel for 5.56/223

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
Vonz90

Powder funnel for 5.56/223

Post by Vonz90 »

I have two powder funnels and both are marked .22 - 45 cal or something like that (I think Lee and Lyman if I remember right). They both work fine for .243 and above but neither fits well on the 223 cases.

In both cases the hold at the top of the taper is bigger in diameter than the case mouth. Significantly so for the Lyman so I can't use it at all. The Lee works, but I have to be very careful to line it up or powder spills around the side.

I don't think this can be right. Does anyone have something else they are using that works well.
JAE

Re: Powder funnel for 5.56/223

Post by JAE »

I use an old flask funnel. http://www.amazon.com/Visol-Stainless-S ... pd_cp_hi_0

Not optimal, but it works.
Precision

Post by Precision »

I have been using my own made of paper with a reinforcing layer of scotch tape. I only do this when trickle loading for precision munitions. For less precise stuff, my powder measure fits just fine.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

I used a perfume funnel with the end cut a little larger for awhile, before I got my Lee funnel. Container stores have them, I believe.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I like these funnels. I sometimes have problems with grains of powder clinging to plastic funnels due to static, and the all-metal ones are immune to that issue.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop