Cast Bullets in AR, yes you can.

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
First Shirt

Re: Cast Bullets in AR, yes you can.

Post by First Shirt »

blackeagle603 wrote:
toad wrote:The use of .22 LR jackets usually requires pure swaged lead, usually with a hydraulic jack set up.

http://www.corbins.com/howto.htm
You can cast lead cores as well.
This seems strangely appropriate, in light of the latest tomfoolery from ATF.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Generally speaking, cast cores are for larger bullets, as it gets difficult to handle lead wire past 3/8" or so..

You can make lead wire yourself, cast an appropriate size core, and then stick into a home made extruder. Heating the lead up till just below melting significantly reduces the force needed.

You can make jackets from more than just rimfire cases - a variety of cartridge cases can and have been made into jackets, mostly in larger sizes. You can make them from copper tube at the "big orange store of happiness", Hell, you can make them from 27 caliber powder nailer blanks..

And for those with a lathe - ask me how to make the dies themselves. :ugeek: :ugeek: :mrgreen: ;)
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
toad

Post by toad »

I just looked at some go to online ammo sites. Wiped out. Very little left except for stuff at $1.25 per round or reloaded brass with dodgy bullets. I have a gut feeling that BATFE has stepped on their crank with this one.
Next .224 sabots for .17 caliber needles. :twisted:
Termite

Post by Termite »

I dunno what all this whining about varmint cartridges is all about..............hell, my varmint load is a 87 gr BTHP loaded to 3400 fps in a .257 Roberts.
Works wonders on all sorts of varmints, 4-legged and 2-legged. 8-)
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."