Reloading Evangelism: new convert

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
Old Grafton

Re: Reloading Evangelism: new convert

Post by Old Grafton »

blackeagle603 wrote: Paw Paw's Kitchen tablekit is an excellent example of even simpler setup.
The tool kit is certainly good enough for his needs at the time. Actually, though, I lust after that leather attache case.... :mrgreen:
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
evan price

Post by evan price »

Lee turret press
Dies for caliber in their own dedicated turret with shell holders
Powder scale- not digital, balance type to start out.
Dial calipers- harbor freight chinese is good enough
Powder measure- auto disc set is fine
Reloading data: hodgdon's online data center is great, as is alliant.
A copy of a reload manual
Brass, bullets, primers & powder.
That will get you started.

I do not recommend digital scales or calipers, especially when just starting, because they can be WRONG, and you don't have a frame of reference yet to know if they are misleading you.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

evan price wrote:Lee turret press
Dies for caliber in their own dedicated turret with shell holders
Powder scale- not digital, balance type to start out.
Dial calipers- harbor freight chinese is good enough
Powder measure- auto disc set is fine
Reloading data: hodgdon's online data center is great, as is alliant.
A copy of a reload manual
Brass, bullets, primers & powder.
That will get you started.

I do not recommend digital scales or calipers, especially when just starting, because they can be WRONG, and you don't have a frame of reference yet to know if they are misleading you.
When I got back into reloading, I bought a Lee Turret Press kit to start out with plus a Lehman trickler, some shell holders, powder funnel. All together it was mostly serviceable and got me loading for about $200 at the time (about 12 years ago) not including Powder and bullets etc.

The trimmer that comes with it is a useless piece of garbage though - so I had to buy a new one right away. Again I bought a Lehman for that.
Last edited by Vonz90 on Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

You had problems with the Lee hand trimmer? Huh, who'd a thunk it. Curious what the issue was...

I've got a mess of holders and tool pins for different calibers that have served me well.

Maybe it's an officer/white hat thing. ;)
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Precision

Post by Precision »

being the go to guy has merits. And converting people to the cause is always a good thing.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

News so good, it merits posting twice :D
How'd that happen? I have no idea.

Who's been in the Laphroaig and why is it down two fingers?
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

blackeagle603 wrote:You had problems with the Lee hand trimmer? Huh, who'd a thunk it. Curious what the issue was...

I've got a mess of holders and tool pins for different calibers that have served me well.

Maybe it's an officer/white hat thing. ;)
Too hard to get consistent results. With my Lehman, once I get it adjusted to the right length, they are all the same to very consistent tolerances and it is impossible to over trim.
toad

Post by toad »

blackeagle603 wrote:
News so good, it merits posting twice :D
How'd that happen? I have no idea.

Who's been in the Laphroaig and why is it down two fingers?
Sounds like something my urologist said.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Best trimmer on the market is probably the Wilson, but it's pricey at 120 bucks, and you need a holder for each different case.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

In between other tasks knocked out about 250 trap/dove loads today. Hit a box or two each time passing the bench (12 ga, 18.0 gr Promo, 1 oz #8's).