Loves me some Dillon!

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
First Shirt

Loves me some Dillon!

Post by First Shirt »

Sat down last night to load some 7mm-08, for myself as well as my Trusty Minions, and promptly broke a part on the powder measure, turning it into an awkward paperweight. Honestly, the part has done yeoman service, having been a factor in something like 30K+ rounds over the last twenty years, and it broke because I didn't realize that it had worn to the point that it had shifted in it's slot and bound up, and when I tried a little more muscle, it gave up the ghost.

Finally got through to a human at Dillon this morning, and the part (actually two of them) are in the mail, even as we speak.

Yeah, the equipment is a little more expensive, but the customer service sure makes up for it!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Rod

Re: Loves me some Dillon!

Post by Rod »

First Shirt wrote:Sat down last night to load some 7mm-08, for myself as well as my Trusty Minions, and promptly broke a part on the powder measure, turning it into an awkward paperweight. Honestly, the part has done yeoman service, having been a factor in something like 30K+ rounds over the last twenty years, and it broke because I didn't realize that it had worn to the point that it had shifted in it's slot and bound up, and when I tried a little more muscle, it gave up the ghost.

Finally got through to a human at Dillon this morning, and the part (actually two of them) are in the mail, even as we speak.

Yeah, the equipment is a little more expensive, but the customer service sure makes up for it!
If you're ever in Scottsdale, AZ drop in on them. Nice folks and always willing to help. They'll even give you a tour of the plant unless more mini-guns are being built. Security you know.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

If you stop by, ask for Eric Harvey. He is an acquaintance of mine.

They are top notch folks.

Speaking of which, next trip south, I need to stop in and get myself a RL550B.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
TheArmsman

Post by TheArmsman »

I have so been wanting to get the 650…. :(
When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

When I bought this setup, lo, these many years ago, I had two sets of dies (.45 ACP and .30-06), one toolhead, and one powder measure. Since then, I've added calibers (.38/.357, .223, .45 Colt, .308 Win, 7mm-08 Rem) toolheads, and other goodies, but for some reason, never bought another powder measure. Never seemed necessary, this one worked fine, adjusted easily, and held its adjustment extremely well.

I guess I went to that particular well once too often, and another powder measure will be added to the inventory here very shortly.

I've thought about a 650, but just can't justify the cost of setting up all over again.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
toad

Post by toad »

In the past I've though about the basic 500 Dillion reloader, I'd hand de-prime, clean the brass, hand prime, use one of the automatic trickle weighing powder measures and just dump the powder charge in the funnel that Dillion makes for rifle loaders.