Brown truck of happiness (reloading)

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
blackeagle603

Brown truck of happiness (reloading)

Post by blackeagle603 »

I have always wanted one of these for shotshell ever since my first roll your own experience as a (barely) teenager.
lee loader.jpg
I have a couple for metallic cartridges but Lee quit making them for shotshells. This go for silly prices on auction sites but finally scored one for a price I could tolerate over the holidays. This is one of the earliest before they started using newer style packaging and chroming the tools.

I've been playing with some slug and roundball loads on my MEC 650 and an old roll crimper I picked up.
roll crimper.jpg
Slug loading doesn't flow so naturally on a progressive but it works fine. Still, I am looking forward to trying some slug load work ups using this old tool and a roll crimper. A bit of nostalgia for misspent youth experimenting with a Lee Loader is just icing on top.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
First Shirt

Re: Brown truck of happiness (reloading)

Post by First Shirt »

Like I don't already have more on my plate than I can say grace over, you're trying to get me into shotshell reloading too???

Thanks a whole pantsload! :lol:
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Find a dipper load that works, and you can load anywhere. T hose whack-it reloaders are wonderful for loading near a campfire.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Yep and great for introducing kids to how ammo functions and reloading. My first experience involved a backyard campfire, a slug mold made from a couple pieces of hardwood c-clamped together and bored out with a brace n bit we found that just fit into my buddy's Savage 20 gauge muzzle. Those slugs were things of beauty to a 13 year old wearing tortoise Buddy Holly glasses. Embedded woodchips and all. :lol:
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

I still remember (vividly) the day my mom came home from work early, and caught me melting wheelweights in a cast iron pot on the kitchen stove, preparatory to casting some .41 Mag bullets. Yeah. That was fun.

Wasn't the last time I did it, but it WAS the last time I got caught.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

My first exposure to reloading was in 1969 at a Scout-0-Rama. An Explorer Post had a booth and one of the things they were doing was reloading (or loading) shotshells. Different times.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Speaking of Scouts...

Mike,
Lemon Grove club still involved with them?

Greg

Post by Greg »

First Shirt wrote:I still remember (vividly) the day my mom came home from work early, and caught me melting wheelweights in a cast iron pot on the kitchen stove, preparatory to casting some .41 Mag bullets. Yeah. That was fun.

Wasn't the last time I did it, but it WAS the last time I got caught.
Hope you didn't use a pot she cooked food in.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
evan price

Post by evan price »

Dad was clearing out his back room and one of the things he had was a Mec Sizemaster 12-ga loader. Since I'm a shotgun shooter it got given to me. At the time I had no interest in loading shotshell so it got relegated to the pile of stuff in my den that got moved around and never touched.
Well, I got the bug to shoot slugs at inanimate objects and someone gave me a Lee 1-oz slug mold for my birthday.
Decided to see how much work getting the old MEC running again would take. Had to replace a few small bits that had gotten lost which were cheap and easy to find. Now I'm loading shotshells.
I've discovered that 1-oz of #8 shot with a pink Claybusters WAA12SL equiv. wad and 18gr of Promo pushed into Remington hulls makes a nice shooting load.
Substituting a Lee 1-oz slug and a Winchester WAA12L silver wad makes a great slug load.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!