Does anyone have any data for loadind 00 buckshot for 410

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
mikeyblue

Does anyone have any data for loadind 00 buckshot for 410

Post by mikeyblue »

Does anyone have any data on 00 buckshot for410 2 1/2".
PawPaw

Re: Does anyone have any data for loadind 00 buckshot for 41

Post by PawPaw »

Here's the deal with buckshot. It's just shot, so any of the load data you normally use will work just fine. Figure how much a single buckshot weighs, and figure out how many in a 1/2 ounce load. Load according to standard reloading data.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

If the diameter of 00 shot is 0.33 and the diameter of 410 is about .45, how many pellets do you get in a 2-1/2" shell? 3?

Midway sells 3" 00 410 with 5 pellets.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

Weetabix wrote:If the diameter of 00 shot is 0.33 and the diameter of 410 is about .45...
Call me crazy, but I was under the wild impression that diameter of a .410 is right about at .410. 8-)

Thus you can put a 3" .410 breech into a short .45 barrel, (and shoot both rounds with abysmal accuracy), but you cannot do it the other way around.
At least not twice. :P

Federal puts 3 rounds of 000B in a 3" shell, and Winchester packs 5 of them in. They are .36 caliber @.
(Presumably the difference is load and wadding, as well as velocity, since both work fine.)
The 2 1/2" shells are usually a .410 slug load, IIRC.

Hodgdon's Online Reloading data, just as PawPaw noted, assumes you'll be dropping in a nominal 1/2 oz. of lead pellets.
Using your specified 00B, each of which weighs 3.49g, 4 of them would be 0.49857 oz.
math wrote:4 x 3.49g = 13.9g divided by 28 = 0.498571 oz.
1g= 0.035274 oz, 1/28th = 0.035214, or a difference of 6/100,000ths...close enough
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Yeah, a .410 bore is (unbelievably) .410. Hence the name. There may be some minor variation in bore diameter between manufacturers, but it's basically a .41 caliber.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Aesop wrote:
Weetabix wrote:If the diameter of 00 shot is 0.33 and the diameter of 410 is about .45...
Call me crazy, but I was under the wild impression that diameter of a .410 is right about at .410. 8-)
I must confess to laziness. I was thinking of that pistol that shoots .410 and .45 long colt. Mea culpa maxima. ;)
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

That's why I didn't poke your ribs too hard.
'Cuz I've never, ever let my fingers get ahead of my brains on the Internet, not once, nosiree, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it. :roll:
(If it makes you feel better, I checked three websites and SAAMI specs to make sure I hadn't lost my mind either, knowing e.g. the difference between a nominal .38Spl and the actual bullet dia., which then turned into an internet wander regarding that whole .45/410 phenom, and why it's such an inaccurate and crappy idea on anything bigger than a belly gun for inside-phonebooth fights...)
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Weetabix wrote:I must confess to laziness. I was thinking of that pistol that shoots .410 and .45 long colt. Mea culpa maxima. ;)
Eh, don't sweat it. We learned a long time ago that a .410 shotshell would fit in a .45 Colt chamber. H&R made a .45/.410 barrel for a while, but results were unsatisfying because the chamber had to be cut a little long to PROPERLY fit the .410 shell and that made the .45 Colt have a long jump to the rifling. Nowadays, several companies make dual revolvers, but they make no claim to stellar accuracy. Mainly billed as a snake gun, they serve admirably in that capacity, but they're neither shotgun nor handgun in the classic sense. To make it work, compromises must be made and the results are less than setllar.

Still, both SW and Taurus have sold a butt-load of them, so they're filling a niche. And, the .45 Colt is nothing to sneeze at either. Loaded to max charges, and served up at halitosis distance, that revolver would serve admirably as a close range defensive handgun for things with teeth. Stellar accuracy isn't that important when you're pumping big chunks of lead into an upholstered body at arm's length.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House