The Germans And Russians Really Didn't Like Each Other

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
Darrell

The Germans And Russians Really Didn't Like Each Other

Post by Darrell »

I'd never heard that the Germans and Russians used explosive ammunition in WWII. The Germans used it only on the Eastern Front against the Russians, and vice versa. Very impressive video:

https://www.full30.com/video/82efb579fd ... 66ef3d3c9d

The guys in the video got their hands on some genuine explosive rounds from the time, both Russian and German. Early results against ballistic "soap" might be misleading, as they cover later on. Some devastating results if you watch through the vid. Toward the end, one of the guys also reads from a German soldier's account of using the ammo against Russians. I guess they weren't following the Geneva accords on the Eastern Front.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Yogimus

Re: The Germans And Russians Really Didn't Like Each Other

Post by Yogimus »

I wonder if this could be applied to a .45 cal round.
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

as a "marker" round only, of course
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Of course… :twisted:
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Rod

Post by Rod »

After watching that, I wondered what effect the clothing and gear would have on the round. The damage suffered by the large gel block would presumably cause detonation earlier than normal.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

Looks like it is a time issue not a mass issue. Clothing wouldn't cause pre-det unless it held the round up for a few microseconds
Rod

Post by Rod »

Yogimus wrote:Looks like it is a time issue not a mass issue. Clothing wouldn't cause pre-det unless it held the round up for a few microseconds
I sometimes act drunk when I write on here. That's what I meant, the microsecond delay might cause the detonation as it enters to body. Or, if it hit a buckle, button, or other assorted gear.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

2700 feet per second.... it detonates after 3 inches of penetration... fuck... math.

2700x12= 32400 inches per second

and fuck you I'm drunk. I can't math.
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

0.0000925 seconds, or a red whisker less than 1/10,000 sec is the amount of detonation delay you're talking about.
I'm too lazy to fuck around working out the calculus on the deceleration, other than to note its obvious existence, otherwise in about 4/10,000s of a second the round would be coming out your other side and explode beyond you.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Wonder how many kabooms they got on the production line, assembling the ammo...
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop