When A .32 Could Kill A Man…The Good Ol' Days

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
skb12172

Re: When A .32 Could Kill A Man…The Good Ol' Days

Post by skb12172 »

That's what I use in my Nagant, though it's not in my carry rotation. Just a historical curiosity for a good price.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Lokidude

Post by Lokidude »

I carry a Beretta Tomcat sometimes. It's better than nothing and conceals very easily. I went .32 for ammo commonality with my Colt 1903, which I've carried exactly once, at my wedding.
workinwifdakids wrote: We've thus far avoided the temptation to jack an entire forum.

But what the hell.
Standing for Truth, Justice, and the American Way!
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

You just went even higher in my estimation because, not only did you carry at your wedding, you did so in a historically respectful manner.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Lokidude

Post by Lokidude »

skb12172 wrote:You just went even higher in my estimation because, not only did you carry at your wedding, you did so in a historically respectful manner.
Heh. I was armed, one of my groomsmen was carrying, our photog was carrying (he was delighted when he found we were pro carry and he could pack as well), and I can think of three guests just off the top of my head who were also carrying, and there were very likely more.
workinwifdakids wrote: We've thus far avoided the temptation to jack an entire forum.

But what the hell.
Standing for Truth, Justice, and the American Way!
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

As was discussed on the "FBI 9mm" discussion, shot placement counts. On a foot-pounds force per pounds of body weight basis, hunting elephant with a .375 H&H is the same as hunting deer with a .22LR, and there were hunters who regularly used a 7mm Mauser.

Up close and with proper shot placement, .22LR is plenty for hunting Homo sapiens. Any of the .32 pistol cartridges are more than sufficient. Proper shot placement means a CNS hit.

In the bad old days, most people were worse shots than today, so sepsis was the killer. Today, most would survive gunshots that would have killed 100 years ago. General "Stonewall" Jackson would have been back in action in time for Gettysburg with modern MASH and antibiotics.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

D5CAV wrote:As was discussed on the "FBI 9mm" discussion, shot placement counts. On a foot-pounds force per pounds of body weight basis, hunting elephant with a .375 H&H is the same as hunting deer with a .22LR, and there were hunters who regularly used a 7mm Mauser.

Up close and with proper shot placement, .22LR is plenty for hunting Homo sapiens. Any of the .32 pistol cartridges are more than sufficient. Proper shot placement means a CNS hit.

In the bad old days, most people were worse shots than today, so sepsis was the killer. Today, most would survive gunshots that would have killed 100 years ago. General "Stonewall" Jackson would have been back in action in time for Gettysburg with modern MASH and antibiotics.
W.D.M. "Karamojo" Bell is famously quoted as saying that if he went back to Africa after elephant, his caliber of choice would be the .308 Winchester. He likd the 7mm Mauser, but thought that the .308 would suit his needs better. Of course, he was an expert elephant hunter, and liked to get close.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

I wouldn't mind having one of those Beretta Tomcats as a curiosity. Dad handed over almost all of his firearms to me recently and he included a Bobcat in .25. I'm afraid to shoot it, it seems so fragile.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
BDK

Post by BDK »

I like Tomcats.

Especially if there was a bit more support for the platform - some thinner grips and a bit of action polishing, and it would make a good compact - especially for folks with limited hand strength.
MDCMKY

Post by MDCMKY »

The smallest caliber I ever carry is .380 auto in my N. American Arms Guardian. I only carry it when my
clothing won't allow me to carry my other [small gun] Colt Defender LW stainless 1911 .45 acp, and 95%
of the time I carry my Colt Delta Goldcup 10MM or my Kimber TLE .45 acp.

I actually have a N.A.A. .32 acp but I only bought it because the price was such a steal I new I could sell
it [if I wanted to] for a tasty profit. I don't see the point in carrying a handgun that has "questionable"
ballistics so .32 is out for me.