In Defense Of FMJ .45acp For Self Defense/CCW

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
skb12172

In Defense Of FMJ .45acp For Self Defense/CCW

Post by skb12172 »

We've heard all the arguments regarding hollow point. "Even if it doesn't expand, you aren't any worse off, etc."

OK, let's hear counter-arguments. Does anyone carry FMJ in their .45acp handgun? Why? Even though it's a big, heavy, slow slug, do you still ever worry about over penetration?

Fire Away!
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
skb12172

Re: In Defense Of FMJ .45acp For Self Defense/CCW

Post by skb12172 »

A worker at my LMOD carries the same Springfield XDS that I do. In fact, he sold me mine. He carries ball in his and is insisting that HP will not expand or penetrate properly out of that small platform. I just wanted the consensus from here to see if he was full of it.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Greg

Post by Greg »

I was tempted to mention the Gold Dot short barrel loads. Box-O-Truth seems to have gotten there first. :)
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

On the other hand, Cooper was known to tout a full patch truncated cone bullet as a huge improvement in the .45 ACP. As late as 2003 he tells us:
We have recently been queried about proper ammunition for the 45 ACP cartridge. In our opinion standard military hardball does quite well, its main weakness being a propensity to ricochet off a hard surface, such as auto window glass. If it gets into the torso it generally stops the fight. However, the round nose may be improved by going to the various forms of truncated cone projectiles - frangible or otherwise. The squared-off point avoids ricochets to a certain extent and increases penetration in wet pack - for reasons which are unclear to me.
While I carry hollowpoints for duty (issue ammunition), I'm not convinced it's necessary to do so in the .45 ACP.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
evan price

Post by evan price »

Modern bonded core HPs trump anything they loaded when Miami Vice was on NBC.

Heck if I could find a mag to fit I would load hole saws as projectiles.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
BDK

Post by BDK »

A jacketed truncated cone would be nice to have in 460 Rowland/other anti pig loads...
Greg

Post by Greg »

evan price wrote:Modern bonded core HPs trump anything they loaded when Miami Vice was on NBC.

Heck if I could find a mag to fit I would load hole saws as projectiles.
Pretty sure ring airfoils/ring penetrators were a fad for a while. They've even been used in sci-fi from time to time.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

CByrneIV wrote:
As far as I know, the only civil jurisdiction in the United States that currently bans modern defensive ammo is New Jersey, though that may have changed.
HP ammo is "permitted by exclusion" in NJ. The asstards that be "allow" us to possess it at home and on the way to and from the range or hunting grounds. But heaven fofend you get caught w. a .22 HP round rolling around on your car floor as you are pulled over for talking on your cellie.
Greg

Post by Greg »

rightisright wrote:
CByrneIV wrote:
As far as I know, the only civil jurisdiction in the United States that currently bans modern defensive ammo is New Jersey, though that may have changed.
HP ammo is "permitted by exclusion" in NJ. The asstards that be "allow" us to possess it at home and on the way to and from the range or hunting grounds. But heaven fofend you get caught w. a .22 HP round rolling around on your car floor as you are pulled over for talking on your cellie.
Well they're at least somewhat consistent. The default position wrt hollowpoints is the same as the position wrt firearms - banned and illegal by default, with certain limited exceptions.

So you can have HP ammo at home, and use it at the range (I don't think there's anything in NJ you're allowed to hunt with HP's) with certain limited allowances made for transportation in between. Just, exactly as said, heaven help you if you get caught with one otherwise.

skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Sounds like Mexico.