In Defense Of FMJ .45acp For Self Defense/CCW

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
gandalf23

Re: In Defense Of FMJ .45acp For Self Defense/CCW

Post by gandalf23 »

I carry fmj in my 1911 .45 and when I carry a 9mm it's loaded with fmj, too. It's what I practice with, so I know it'll hit where I want it to. Also when I first got my 1911 it was super finicky and would not load HP worth a crap. Granted, that was several thousand rounds ago so it's probably slicked up quite a bit since then. That plus me being a broke college student, at the time, meant I did not shoot much HP ammo. I think somewhere I still have a box of Black Talon .45, but if so that probably the only non-FMJ ammo I have for my pistols. I take that back, I think I still have a box of HP makarov ammo somewhere.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

I guess you don't have any concerns about it being a stopper, then?
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
gandalf23

Post by gandalf23 »

Nah. It was good enough to kill Nazis, so it's good enough for me :)

More seriously, I figure hitting where I want to with fmj beats missing with a hollow point. Not that fmj is more accurate or anything, it's just what I practice with.
BDK

Post by BDK »

I don't think people are really worried that 45 ball wouldn't kill someone, it's just that there are more effective solutions

I carry lighter JHP loads, so they recoil like my practice ones.

Now, if you want to shoot steel, with hot loaded TMJ, especially on something like 9 major, crap will be given once everyone starts getting fragged.