5.56 powder lottery

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
Precision

Re: 5.56 powder lottery

Post by Precision »

morsetaper wrote:Had a chance to try out those Privi boolits yet? I'm very curious.
I ran 25 bullets, 5 shots at 5 powder levels.

It was a day compressed in time and the wife sitting patiently in the car, so it wasn't as leisurely time. Having said that they performed quite well. Not counting user induced flyers I got plus or minus 1 MOA across all powder weights (at 100 yds). It was fairly gusty.

I was VERY please with their accuracy, especially at HALF the cost of the Bergers. I will need to shoot some life targets to see about terminal performance, but so far I like them.

I plan on using the LT-32 to load up ammo at close to max velocity for that powder (19.9ish gave me the best accuracy). This ammo will be for back up SHTF and for future trading purposes. I need to do some poa / poi vs the Bergers with the AA2520 to see if after I get some AA2520, if they can become second place pellets.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
NVGdude

Post by NVGdude »

Precision wrote:
I am going to look for RL-15 when I get down there tomorrow. Any other powders off the well traveled path that I should look for?
Reloader-15, H4895, IMR4895, or Varget.

I have been seeing Reloader 17 in stock lately. Slower than 15 obviously, but maybe ok for those 75 and 77 grain heavies of yours.

Powder is still very scarce arround here. Lots of 50BMG powders (in 1 lb cans WTF?) and lots of Leverevolution for some reason.
Precision

Post by Precision »

NVGdude wrote:
Precision wrote:
I am going to look for RL-15 when I get down there tomorrow. Any other powders off the well traveled path that I should look for?
Reloader-15, H4895, IMR4895, or Varget.

I have been seeing Reloader 17 in stock lately. Slower than 15 obviously, but maybe ok for those 75 and 77 grain heavies of yours.

Powder is still very scarce arround here. Lots of 50BMG powders (in 1 lb cans WTF?) and lots of Leverevolution for some reason.
Lots of Leverevolution around here and the 50 BMG stuff. No luck finding RL-15. I found some RE-17 but didn't have the disposable cash. Unemployed, wife unemployed ... probably not my smartest fiscal decision to buy a few pounds.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/