Bullets Loaded Backwards

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
Darrell

Bullets Loaded Backwards

Post by Darrell »

Very interesting video via the Firearms Blog about loading bullets backwards, nose first into the cases, following legend that it causes more damage. Regular and backward loads are compared by firing into ballistic gelatin, against steel plates, and against water bottles. The ass-backward ammo appears to discharge all its energy into the soft targets, instead of just drilling through as with regular loads. It also causes split cases and flattened primers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZAyhv0 ... r_embedded

I'd think just shooting with flat pointed bullets would do the same thing. I guess this is getting into meplats, ogives and all that stuff.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014 ... backwards/
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Lokidude

Re: Bullets Loaded Backwards

Post by Lokidude »

So they discovered wadcutters?
workinwifdakids wrote: We've thus far avoided the temptation to jack an entire forum.

But what the hell.
Standing for Truth, Justice, and the American Way!
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

I haven't watched, but, IIRC, this was a common tactic with the British in WW I to defeat steel plates with firing ports used by Ze Germans. Ze Germans would pile some sandbags in front of the plate and have a relatively secure firing position without exposing too much of themselves. The reversed boolit would punch a hole through the plate and let some good intentions work their way through.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

In one of Capstick's books, he tells of using 150 grain bullets (.270 Win.) loaded backwards, to kill an elephant, since either all their full-jacket stuff had been lost, or the guns and ammo had been separated, somehow. He was around to say that it worked, so I guess it did.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom