Choosing To Specialize In (Mostly) One Caliber. Which One?

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
skb12172

Choosing To Specialize In (Mostly) One Caliber. Which One?

Post by skb12172 »

for SHTF, HD, etc. Other than .22LR (A commodity) and 12 Gauge (Likewise), I am thinking of going with only one grown-up caliber for a carbine/fullsize handgun combo. The choices I'm pondering are .357 Magnum and .45acp.

I do have a few MN 91/30s with a couple of spam cans of ammo which are earmarked for deer, but I would also like the carbine to be of occasional use for that, as well.

The .45acp currently has a slight edge, because I have quite a bit in inventory and my new CCW is in that caliber, negating the need to stock separately for that use.

Which caliber would you choose and why?

Fire Away!
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Weetabix

Re: Choosing To Specialize In (Mostly) One Caliber. Which On

Post by Weetabix »

.357 looks to have an edge in energy and "stopping" while .45ACP seems to have the edge in penetration according to this.

I can't remember what your carry is. I didn't realize there were .45acp carbines, but I guess it makes sense.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

After the great ammo shortage of 2013, I am doing the opposite, varying my caliber options. A .357 would be a good choice for .38 utility. 9MM for autos.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Weetabix wrote:.357 looks to have an edge in energy and "stopping" while .45ACP seems to have the edge in penetration according to this.

I can't remember what your carry is. I didn't realize there were .45acp carbines, but I guess it makes sense.

My new carry is a Springfield XDS. There are .45acp carbines. Say what you will about their handguns, but Hi Point is one excellent example, as well as a couple of other brands.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

skb12172 wrote:Say what you will about their handguns, but Hi Point is one excellent example,
"Ugly" :lol:
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

That carbine looks like someone made a firearm out of a steam locomotive.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Yogimus wrote:After the great ammo shortage of 2013, I am doing the opposite, varying my caliber options. A .357 would be a good choice for .38 utility. 9MM for autos.
I've kind of done what skb is thinking about, in .40, after buying the Sub2K. Easier to have one versatile caliber to stock up on.

But I'm glad to have the .357 revolver and I wouldn't be hostile to the idea of actively diversifying.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

Greg if you ever plan on selling that carbine, you got a buyer. I will include a full frontal...
Greg

Post by Greg »

Yogimus wrote:Greg if you ever plan on selling that carbine, you got a buyer. I will include a full frontal...
AAUUUGGHHHH. You've got a deal anyway. :lol:

I wasn't sure if you ever found one, I guess not.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Must…Have…Brain Bleach and Mental Floss…

:o