Remington thunderbolt?

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
Denis

Remington thunderbolt?

Post by Denis »

My local range has had trouble getting .22 ammunition into stock. They did dredge up some Remington Thunderbolt from someplace...

My goodness, but that stuff is junk. It must be loaded with the sweepings of the powder factory floor. As range supervisor last night, I had complaints of up to 25% duds, and I saw one potentially dangerous stuck case + out-of-battery discharge in a brand new Kimber pistol.
Erik

Re: Remington thunderbolt?

Post by Erik »

I think that was the stuff we tested once. You could actually hear the difference when they were fired, the shots went the whole range from *poff* to *KABLAM!!*. Some produced a muzzle flame that looked like a fire breathing dragon, others would barely move the action enough to reload. I don't think we ever got through the first box before we gave up on it.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

There's a good reason it's known as Thunderdolt or Thunderdud around here.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

I had a couple of the bulk packs (550 rounds?). Managed, with much effort, and truly impressive profanity, to muddle through one box. The other is still here somewhere, to be used as trading stock should the SHTF.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Erik wrote: Some produced a muzzle flame that looked like a fire breathing dragon
The powder missing from the squibs had to go somewhere.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Denis

Post by Denis »

First Shirt wrote:... to be used as trading stock should the SHTF.
Maybe someone with a really fast overarm throw could make some use of it. That, or fishing-line weights.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

My initial thought was to melt down the bullets and recast them, but on not-quite-sober reflection decided that they might work in a .22 bolt gun (they were a right pain-in-the-ass in The Boss's Marlin 39) and thus, could possibly be traded for something equally useful. Like tits on a bull.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

I recall back in the day Remington Target was THE ammo to use, reliable, consistent, fed in just about anything, and if it wasn't accurate enough you needed to hie thyself to the US Olympic shooting team because there was gold in your future. Still have a couple bricks of it around somewhere, must be near 20 years old.
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

Standards evidently slipped somewhat during the recent shortage and unpleasantness.

Apparently TPTB at Remingdud figured shooters won't notice, and don't talk to each other, which shows you how little they really know when it comes to their customer base. :roll:
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Aesop wrote:Standards evidently slipped somewhat during the recent shortage and unpleasantness.

Apparently TPTB at Remingdud figured shooters won't notice, and don't talk to each other, which shows you how little they really know when it comes to their customer base. :roll:

The Thunderturds I have were purchased several years ago. Like FirstShirt, mine are stowed away for barter (with someone I don't like).