.300 BLK

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
D5CAV

.300 BLK

Post by D5CAV »

Anyone have any experience with the .300 blackout? A few friends have it and seem happy with it. The ammo is expensive, but two friends have money to burn and the other friends reload.

I've thought about getting a SIG 556R in 7.62x39, but my friends are urging me to go the .300BLK route, as it's performance with a 125gr bullet is about the same as the AK round, while a heavier bullet allows for a sub-sonic loading.

SIG 556R Pro:
Ammo is cheap and available (for now)
AK mags are cheap and available (for now)

SIG 556R Con:
Lower receiver is aluminum, which has bad wear characteristics with steel AK mags
Cheap and available AK ammo is dirty and hard on components (steel case)

SIG 556 in .300BLK Pro:
Uses standard AR mags, which only wear the mag release, and are cheap and available (for now)
Ammo is good quality

SIG 556 in .300BLK Con:
Ammo is expensive
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Steamforger

Re: .300 BLK

Post by Steamforger »

I seem to remember reading about a lot of grumbling about the 556R's being hit or miss in the reliability department. Might want to browse through the Sig forums for serial ranges and manufacture dates.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Supposedly they redesigned the 556R to fix the problems, including the addition of a steel insert in the magwell area.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

Steamforger wrote:I seem to remember reading about a lot of grumbling about the 556R's being hit or miss in the reliability department. Might want to browse through the Sig forums for serial ranges and manufacture dates.
From what I've found online, the "Gen 2" 556Rs should be fine. But, y'know, Internet.
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

I gave some thought to building one. But it seems the biggest allure is putting a can on it and shooting subsonic. No cans until I get out of this God-forsaken state.

You could always use Pmags to alleviate magwell wear if you go x39.
Dub_James

Post by Dub_James »

rightisright wrote:I gave some thought to building one. But it seems the biggest allure is putting a can on it and shooting subsonic. No cans until I get out of this God-forsaken state.

PMags? Magwell wear?
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn
And those heads that turn
Make my back, make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Dub_James wrote:
rightisright wrote:I gave some thought to building one. But it seems the biggest allure is putting a can on it and shooting subsonic. No cans until I get out of this God-forsaken state.

PMags? Magwell wear?

I surely haven't noticed any magwell wear from PMags in my ARs. Different experience?
Dub_James

Post by Dub_James »

rightisright wrote:
Dub_James wrote:

PMags? Magwell wear?

I surely haven't noticed any magwell wear from PMags in my ARs. Different experience?
It's only a new build that hasn't been test fired, but I'd not heard of issues related to magwell wear. Wasn't aware that PMags made 7.62x39 mags, either.
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn
And those heads that turn
Make my back, make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Magpul is getting into the AK Pmag business. It's been all over the AK boards for the last year or so.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

Thanks!

I haven't heard any glowing praise of the .300 BLK and a few comments in favor of the SIG 556R.

I prefer to have few calibers to stock, so maybe time to take another look at the SIG 556R
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe