Still Looking For Regular .38 Special Snubbie Ammo

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
skb12172

Still Looking For Regular .38 Special Snubbie Ammo

Post by skb12172 »

for self defense. Not +P, but regular ol' .38 special. How's this stuff?

Or this?

Bonus: Bud Wells was my little league coach, so I might even be able to get a little bit extra knocked off the price.

Fire Away!
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Kommander

Re: Still Looking For Regular .38 Special Snubbie Ammo

Post by Kommander »

Hydrashocks are now considered to be out of date compared to the more recent modern stuff. I use Hornady Critical Defense in my personal guns and Remington Golden Sabers at work. The Hornady Critical Duty and Defense are the new hotness right now and are supposed to work quite well.
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

Good way to tell the modernity of a round is to check keywords: "Hydro" is 2 generations ago (when hydrostatic shock was believed to be a thing) and "zombie" was 1 generation ago (when going full retard was a thing)
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

The problem is that all I can find is +P and all I have is LRN. This would still have to be better than that.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

What are you shooting it in? Most current .38 revolvers can stand limited amounts of +P ammo. I understand the motivation for standard pressure ammo, but don't let yourself get wrapped around the axle.

Hornady Critical Defense is good, as is the Federal Hydro-Shock. Of course, I say all this and admit I'm still carrying the Federal NyClad round. I've been hoarding my last box, but that's my daily carry ammo for my Airweight.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

1965 era Smith.
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

skb12172 wrote:1965 era Smith.
That doesn't narrow it down much. I wouldn't fire +P in an airweight, but in a steel Model 36, the occasional cylinder shouldn't be a problem. Of course, if your '65 Smith is a Model 10, that frame is the basis for the Model 19, which will handle .357 magnum.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Steel, but it is 50 years old so I wasn't sure.
Lokidude

Post by Lokidude »

Find this. There's nothing wrong with the old XTP, to this day.
workinwifdakids wrote: We've thus far avoided the temptation to jack an entire forum.

But what the hell.
Standing for Truth, Justice, and the American Way!
Termite

Post by Termite »

Hornady Critical defense comes in 110gr non-plus P. Look around, it is sporadically available. EDT carries it in her Airweight.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."