Good Choice For CCW Ammo?

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
skb12172

Good Choice For CCW Ammo?

Post by skb12172 »

Finally, .38 special is starting to become available again. I'm not entirely sure my old snubbie will handle +p, so I choose to go with standard pressure, which has been even more scarce than +p. I found this at CTD and was wondering what you all thought about it. I'm not familiar with the brand or this particular variety, but it IS JHP, which beats the WC and LRN I've been reduced to carrying lately, since I decided those loads were still better than a pointy stick.

What say you all?

Fire Away!
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Greg

Re: Good Choice For CCW Ammo?

Post by Greg »

Do we avoid CTD now? (Sorry for the horrible jack in the first reply, but it's been on my mind lately.)
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

I know what you mean, but I haven't found regular .38spc anywhere else. I'd rather give them $100 than continue to carry LRN and WC in my snubbie. So, I guess for this thread, the question is immaterial.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Rod

Post by Rod »

I've fired some of their stuff and wasn't that impressed. I'd use it for practice ammo myself.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
TheIrishman

Post by TheIrishman »

Buffalo Bore makes some hot ammo. They were(in some ways) responsible for the belted 45/70 rounds that created the .444 and .450 Marlin.

If they are loaded with quality commercial bullets, they should work better than bulk/target ammo.
Formally the IrateIrishman
Precision

Post by Precision »

I have at least 4 kinds of 38 special locally. Not sure what they are but I could check and let you know.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
randy

Post by randy »

No personal experience or recommendation for this particular brand, but for standard pressure carry I think I might go with this over a JHP.

My understanding is that at .38SPL or +P velocities JHPs don't expand reliably and the that a lead (non jacketed) semi-wad cutter hollow point has a better chance of expansion.

The load I linked to looks like a standard pressure version of the FBI/Chicago Load (158gr LSWCHP +P), which is my standard .38 load in my Model 19
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Precision wrote:I have at least 4 kinds of 38 special locally. Not sure what they are but I could check and let you know.

By all means. If they will ship it to me here I'll gladly give them my business.

Randy: Thanks! I wasn't aware of that issue with JHP and the .38 snubbie.
Termite

Post by Termite »

I bought EDT several boxes of Hornady Critical Defense .38 Spl to go in her Airweight. It seems to be slightly hotter than standard .38, but not +P level.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Precision

Post by Precision »

skb12172 wrote:
Precision wrote:I have at least 4 kinds of 38 special locally. Not sure what they are but I could check and let you know.

By all means. If they will ship it to me here I'll gladly give them my business.

Randy: Thanks! I wasn't aware of that issue with JHP and the .38 snubbie.
I will make a trip to the MOD on Monday.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/