Good Choice For CCW Ammo?

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
Aegis

Re: Good Choice For CCW Ammo?

Post by Aegis »

Another option: Gold Dot 38spl

I've had good dealings with Streicher's before, as well. Far better than I've had with CTD.
Chicks dig fixed bayonets
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

I got a box of Remington's Golden Saber ammo for my .45 from one of my old SWAT buddies. He told me they were using it instead of anything like the old Black Talon rounds 'cause it's "politically acceptable". Thankfully neither he nor I have had to actually verify the performance of these rounds with a drugged or VERY pissed-off suspect who might be all adrenaline'd out and able to lift a small car by himself - he said they were using these rounds instead of the old Gold-Dot "standard" rounds:

Overview:

Dead-serious bullet innovation. A superior bullet for when the stakes are at their highest. Designed for law enforcement and personal defense, the Golden Saber High Performance Jacket successfully combines: match-type accuracy, deep penetration, maximum expansion and near 100% weight retention.

Key Features:
  • * High-performance jacket (HPJ) handgun ammunition built around revolutionary hollow-point bullet design
    * Jacket made entirely of cartridge brass, which releases energy over longer distance while mushrooming
    * Spiral nose-cut feature permits mushrooming at lower velocity without sacrificing penetration or terminal performance
    * Primer and mouth waterproofing standard
    * Cases nickel-plated for reliable feed, function and extraction
From what I've heard, the SWAT guys are quite pleased with its performance. Various people and animals (I guess some of the humans could actually be called animals in these scenarios) who've been hit with these rounds tend to drop rather rapidly. But they told me these rounds feed well in semi-auto handguns and auto sub-guns (including the MP-5), as well as their EXCELLENT performance in .357 magnum and .45 ACP!! I hear these rounds in 9mm do well, but their relative performance is not quite what it is for the .357 mag and .45 ACP.

As usual, YMMV!!!

If you have info the contrary or knowledge of rounds with better performance (and/or dismal FAILURES), PLEASE post them!! I'm ALWAYS willing to learn from other's experiences, so I don't have to take the hard knocks MYSELF!! 8-) 8-)
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
NVGdude

Post by NVGdude »

The Golden Saber is a fairly old design and has a lot of issues.

1) It suffers from core/jacket separation.
2) most of it's expansion is in the jacket not the core.
3) The crimp isn't the best due to the design. I've had GS rounds lock up a revolver when the bullet walked.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

NVGdude wrote:The Golden Saber is a fairly old design and has a lot of issues.

3) The crimp isn't the best due to the design. I've had GS rounds lock up a revolver when the bullet walked.
I'd not heard of ANY of that info. How old is that information??
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Greg

Post by Greg »

Aegis wrote:Another option: Gold Dot 38spl

I've had good dealings with Streicher's before, as well. Far better than I've had with CTD.
Interesting. Do they care about selling to non-LEO? Some 'police supply' places do.

I like their prices, shame every single thing I might buy from them except 158gr .357mag Gold Dots is on back order.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
martini

Post by martini »

For an older revolver, try to find Federal NyClads. Standard pressure, huge hollow point, soft led and nylon jacket. It can't help but to expand.
Justice Sotomayor, States may have grown accustomed to violating the rights of American citizens, but that does not bootstrap those violations into something that is constitutional. — Alan Gura
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Greg wrote:Do we avoid CTD now? (Sorry for the horrible jack in the first reply, but it's been on my mind lately.)
I have been for years.
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

skb, let me know if you can't find any Gold Dots. I have a bunch of Georgia-Arms .38 GDs somewhere.
Precision

Post by Precision »

Here is what they have in stock right now for CCW purposes.

federal premium +P 129 gr hydra-shok @ $27.50 item # p38sh1

federal premium low recoil 110 gr hydra-shok @ $26.95 item pd38hs3 h

Speer Gold Dot +P 135 gr @ $30.95 item # 23921

Remington ultimate defense 125gr bjhp @ $25.95 item # unknown

The store doesn't like to do shipping. Read as they don't do it. But I can buy and ship to you whatever you want with no padding. Tell me what you want, we can exchange addresses, cut me a check / whatever and I'll send it right along.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
NVGdude

Post by NVGdude »

308Mike wrote:
NVGdude wrote:The Golden Saber is a fairly old design and has a lot of issues.

I'd not heard of ANY of that info. How old is that information??
I can take pictures if you like.

Remington recently (2 years ago) introduced a bonded version of the GS that should take care of #1. However I have never actually seen a box in person, and it's only for a few calibers.

The Bonded version did not replace the non-bonded version. Both are marketed.

The one thing the GS does very well is that it has very good feed geometry.