Crossman "Destroyer" pellets upsized for shotgun

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
Yogimus

Crossman "Destroyer" pellets upsized for shotgun

Post by Yogimus »

For those of you unfamiliar with what I am talking about, here is a picture of the destroyer pellet:

Upon contact with a solid object, the collar around the pellet unfurls down the base, and at about 800 fps, it turns into a triangular spike.

This is an INCREDIBLY effective pest round, and has blown chunks out of many birds in my back yard. I am wondering if this bullet design could be adapted to a larger scale, such as revolver ammunition, or in a slug.
Termite

Re: Crossman "Destroyer" pellets upsized for shotgun

Post by Termite »

Lee Precision would make you a slug mold.......
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

It wouldn't weigh much for it's size. Airgun pellets achieve stability from being nose heavy combined with a hollow conical tail. They have a terrible ballistic co-efficient as well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badminton

Edit : I could give you chapter and verse on the ballistics of airgun pellets, why they are designed that way, their terminal effects and how they don't make any sense for anything other than an airgun. But I won't, because it would bore you to tears :)
All my life I been in the dog house
I guess that just where I belong
That just the way the dice roll
Do my dog house song
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

It'd be good for the wiki...

Its an interesting idea - it doesn't work for all kinds of reasons, as is - but the limited range aspect could be handy...

I don't know that the shape of a 1 oz projectile really matters, if its coming along at a decent speed...
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

I love these pellets in my Crossman and I think you have a good idea. You are thinking shot shells for revolver or shotgun at HD range, right?
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

It would definitely have to be a rifled barrel. It is more of a "I wonder what this would do" than anything else.
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

It would be difficult to use such a shape in a firearm because the skirt of the projectile would seperate on firing due to the sudden impulse and heat from the powder. I know this for an absolute fact, been there, done that.
If you made the skirt thick enough to cope then it would fuck up the weight distribution and make it unstable in flight.

Pellet shapes are 90% marketing bullshit anyway. If you care to autopsy any of those birds you are lighting up for no apparent reason then you won't find an expanded pellet. You won't find a pellet at all in fact, it'll be a through and through.
I've killed more small game with airguns than you have made stupid comments on this forum Yogi :D and the pellet shape is completely irrelevant. The smart guys choose whatever pellet is the most accurate with their gun. The same holds for .22lr as well in my opinion.
Do my dog house song
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

Highspeed wrote:It would be difficult to use such a shape in a firearm because the skirt of the projectile would sepArate on firing due to the sudden impulse and heat from the powder. I know this for an absolute fact, been there, done that.
If you made the skirt thick enough to cope then it would fuck up the weight distribution and make it unstable in flight.

Pellet shapes are 90% marketing bullshit anyway. If you care to autopsy any of those birds you are lighting up for no apparent reason then you won't find an expanded pellet. You won't find a pellet at all in fact, it'll be a through and through.
I've killed more small game with airguns than you have made stupid comments on this forum Yogi :D and the pellet shape is completely irrelevant. The smart guys choose whatever pellet is the most accurate with their gun. The same holds for .22lr as well in my opinion.
Who said I don't autopsy the birds? (And dress them in little high heels while I apply lipstick to their beaks)

I fired this pellet into various things, (To include making a juice carton sized jello mold target as well as modeling clay) and I can say with no apprehension that the top ring doubles the diameter of the pellet at about 500 fps, and the pellet turns into a spike after 1 inch of penetration. Now would any pellet murder a tweety? Most likely, yes. I am just really REALLY infatuated with this design, and would like to see its effects on a larger scale. If not an identical replica, then at least a slug that mimics the concept of the "crown".

I understand your point about velocities, which is why I was thinking a slug from a rifled barrel (with a buffer), or a musket. IIRC, the minnie ball was a skirted round, so I refuse to accept the "Can't be done" answer. (FACE!)
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

Birds aren't made from Jello, not here anyway, maybe you get different ones in Montana ? ;)

There is a patent covering how to launch thin skirted projectiles with powder rather than compressed air. It's just a patent but looked feasible, the principle was like the high\low pressure system that the M203 round uses.

I'll try and think of a way to WECSOG a mould with garage tools, you have access to a bench drill ?
Do my dog house song
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

I was thinking of a lathe and a minnie ball