A first for me: seeing .40 Super for sale

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
SoupOrMan

A first for me: seeing .40 Super for sale

Post by SoupOrMan »

Then again, I don't pay a lot of attention to calibers I don't use on a regular basis. Maybe it's been for sale online in the past few years and I've missed it, but I don't remember seeing it before at any of the major online retailers like Midway,Grafs or Natchez. I saw it for sale at Midway USA.

So it's .45 WinMag necked down for .40? Sounds like you could make some sweet handloads for that. It also sounds like that it would make a good home defense carbine round. 1320fps out of the muzzle (admittedly out of a 6-in pistol barrel) for a 200-grain FMJ? That's gonna hurt.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Aglifter

Re: A first for me: seeing .40 Super for sale

Post by Aglifter »

Isn't that the same as a 10MM, but w. less capacity?
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

I think you can get even more out of it - it's the same idea as 400 Corbon, but because they start with 45 Super brass instead of ACP, it's much higher pressure. The wikipedia article says it will drive a 135grn bullet at 1800 ft/sec for 971 ft/lbs.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
evan price

Post by evan price »

How 'bout 460 Rowland necked down to 9mm? Sort of a super-duty 357 Sig?
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

It might throw all ideas of ammo compatibility out of the window for most handgun users but I bet an AR chambered in .40 Super with a 10"-12" barrel would be pretty nice.

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

CByrneIV wrote:175gr at 1290fps 647ftlbs (winchester silvertip)
I know you are just quoting the factory numbers, but I have to call bullshit on this one. Did not quite make 1100 out of my G20.

And for what it's worth, I think most of the people who experiment with the .40 bottleneck cartridges, etc, end up going back to 10mm as a more practical solution.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

For handguns, 10mm is going to be the better choice. You get the needed oomph and the extra ammunition compared to a .45. For a short barrel/PDW-type carbine, I think .40 Super might get the nod there. The 200-grain bullet looks like would make a good loadout for it.

Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Netpackrat wrote:
CByrneIV wrote:175gr at 1290fps 647ftlbs (winchester silvertip)
I know you are just quoting the factory numbers, but I have to call bullshit on this one. Did not quite make 1100 out of my G20.

And for what it's worth, I think most of the people who experiment with the .40 bottleneck cartridges, etc, end up going back to 10mm as a more practical solution.
Of course the temps in AK are pretty low compared to Texas... I have clocked WST at 1245 here.... Not exact but not bad...
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

CombatController wrote:Of course the temps in AK are pretty low compared to Texas... I have clocked WST at 1245 here.... Not exact but not bad...
Hunh. I chrono'ed a bunch of other stuff that day, and the numbers all made sense, and were what I expected to see. WST only made 1096 out of my G20 with stock barrel, average of 10 shots. There was just too much disparity between that and the quoted 1290 to be explained by anything other than watered down rounds.

Sportsman's had a bunch of Hornady 10mm 180 grain XTP yesterday when I stopped in there, and I bought 100 rounds for testing. If it makes anywhere near the 1180 they quote, it's going to replace WST as my general purpose carry round as I use those up. I'm loading the same bullet over 10 grains of 800X, which gives me almost exactly 1200 out of my G20.

I still need to come up with a dedicated woods round that doesn't involve paying $30 per 20 of Buffalo Bore. I refuse to use either Cor-Bon or Double Crap ammo (bad experiences with both), and I haven't seen anything else halfway suitable for sale here. I'd like to try Underwood ammo, but I've never seen it in any store here. I'm probably going to be stuck with handloading. What the world really needs, is a well constructed 10mm JSP of about 210-215 grains. Loaded hot, that would make for an awesome woods round without the need for resorting to cast bullets. I have an RCBS 200gr SWC mold that I've started casting with (haven't loaded any yet), but any heavier than that and you are looking at a custom mold. Plus, I've read that the super-heavies have trouble with the factory Glock rifling (tendency to strip out, or some such thing), and neither of the aftermarket barrels I have are sufficiently reliable for carry.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Hm. Well I did buy a case of it one time from a pawn show that had it sitting around for 8 years. The ammo must be 15 years old or more by now. It might have been clocked out of one of those boxes. When I get back in the country I will clock some 10mm again. I have some hand loads that need attention anyway.

WST has been my go to 10mm because it has performed so well for me in the past. I guess I am going to try the same ones you just got NPR.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.