Is there such thing as match 7.62x39 ammo from factory?

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
slowpoke

Re: Is there such thing as match 7.62x39 ammo from factory?

Post by slowpoke »

Highspeed wrote:There actually was factory match grade 7.62x39 - the East Germans used it in bolt action sniper rifles ( I'm guessing they intended them for internal security use in urban areas, i.e. against their own citizens ) The ammo came in metal tins which were completely sealed and needed cutting open. The rifle\ammo combination was no great shakes.

My memory is a bit hazy because it was a very long time ago but I think the facts above are mostly correct.
Whether the ammo is still available, and available in Canada at that is anyones guess.

Edit :- posted same time as Chris
I thought those East German rifles were 5.45x39...
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

slowpoke wrote:I thought those East German rifles were 5.45x39...
They were.

I was tempted to order one from Century when they were importing them.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

slowpoke wrote: I thought those East German rifles were 5.45x39...
Yep, you are right, told you it was a long time ago...
All my life I been in the dog house
I guess that just where I belong
That just the way the dice roll
Do my dog house song
Denis

Post by Denis »

Highspeed wrote:A few years ago a shooting magazine in the UK did a two part series on a guy who was building a lightweight deer gun around a 7.62x39 CZ bolt action. He had to push the velocity well above that of standard ammo to reach the minimum muzzle energy required by UK law for deer.
I'll try and find the load data from my oppo's in the UK if that'll help - my copy of the magazine didn't make it out to Spain.

I loaded my own softpoint 7.62x39 for my CZ 527 carbine. Nifty little rifle - just right for stalking roe or muntjac deer and for tracking wounded game through brush. I can imagine that it would be too puny for stalking red deer and/or long shots.