Versatile powders ?

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
Highspeed

Versatile powders ?

Post by Highspeed »

Let's imagine you were moving to a country where it's hard to obtain powder, because reloading hasn't really taken off for some reason.

To keep things simple you want to take no more than two brands of powder with you.

One will need to be useable for loading pistol calibers, the other has to cope with everything else.

Which two would you take ?
All my life I been in the dog house
I guess that just where I belong
That just the way the dice roll
Do my dog house song
FelixEstrella

Re: Versatile powders ?

Post by FelixEstrella »

Win 748 for rifles. Alliant Power Pistol for pistols. I'd also take a third, Win 296, for magnum pistol .... but you did say two. All meter well from volumetric powder feeders.
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

If you're not going to be reloading .25 ACP, I'd suggest Hodgdon Longshot for pistol and shotgun. It's got some oomph with lower pressures. If you are reloading .25ACP along with other cartridges, then Universal. If you can't get American powders, maybe try Vihtavuori N340? For rifle, I don't know. I haven't tried reloading rifle yet.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Lokidude

Post by Lokidude »

Unique for the pistols, and IMR 4320 for my rifles. Which is basically what I use right now anyways.
workinwifdakids wrote: We've thus far avoided the temptation to jack an entire forum.

But what the hell.
Standing for Truth, Justice, and the American Way!
Fivetoes

Post by Fivetoes »

Nother vote for Unique and IMR 4895 or IMR 4064. Third choice would be Goex 3f, but I could make that.
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

I'm going to have to check on the availability of these powders.

Win 748 seems to be almost the same as Hodgdon BLC(2) and I know I can get that locally, which is a bonus.

Actually I'll narrow the pistol powder choice down to something suitable for 9mm and\or .45 ACP - I forgot I can only own one handgun unless I get ranked as a competitive shooter, something which I'm not very interested in. So in my personal frame of reference it's a straight choice between a Hi power or a 1911.
Do my dog house song
Precision

Post by Precision »

Highspeed wrote: I forgot I can only own one handgun ...
Up until 5 minutes ago I had TWO handguns (of different calibers) on my person.
Damn crazy european (no cap on purpose) gun laws / nazis.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

Precision wrote:
Highspeed wrote: I forgot I can only own one handgun ...
Up until 5 minutes ago I had TWO handguns (of different calibers) on my person.
Damn crazy european (no cap on purpose) gun laws / nazis.
Look at it from my point of view - I'm going from no handguns to one handgun, which is a 100% improvement :lol:

Strictly speaking I will be able to own more than one - it'll just have to be cap and ball....which is something I have been meaning to get into for ages, but never gotten around to. Those cowboy guns fascinate me so much more than modern pistols.

Must put pyrodex on the shopping list as well...
Do my dog house song
randy

Post by randy »

Highspeed wrote: Actually I'll narrow the pistol powder choice down to something suitable for 9mm and\or .45 ACP
I've been happy with Win 231 for my pistol needs. Mostly laziness as I started with it on 9mm and just kept it when I went to other calibers (.38 SPL and .45 ACP). Maybe not the optimum powder for each, but it works well in my experience.

(I also use Win 748 for .223 and .30-06, same reason. Works well enough for my purposes)
So in my personal frame of reference it's a straight choice between a Hi power or a 1911.
Do I even have to say what my choice would be? ;)
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

randy wrote: Do I even have to say what my choice would be? ;)
Let me think, I can probably guess if given enough time :lol:
Do my dog house song