the altered propellant rumor returns

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
Johnnyreb

the altered propellant rumor returns

Post by Johnnyreb »

You all remember the rumor that has gone around a couple of times about how the government was going to change the powder in new ammo so it would degrade after a few years and be useless?

Well, last night at the Tea Party meeting that one came back again and I said I'd look into it since I couldn't recall if anything solid had ever been learned about it before.

So, does anyone remember that one? And did anything solid ever get learned about it? Is it urban legend? Or perhaps some pie in the sky lib-tech like putting serial numbers on the tips of the firing pins? Or are there powders out there being made go bad after a few years and someone is trying to convert the ammo industry over to using it?

One of my fellow Tea Partiers also said last night that most loading powders are being made in Russia these days. Any truth to that one?
randy

Re: the altered propellant rumor returns

Post by randy »

Hadn't heard that one before. I would think even a hint of such a plan would generate a slew of fund raising letters from the NRA, GOA, etc.

I find it difficult to believe that an entire industry could be pressured into this without someone inside discretely dropping a dime to the 2nd Amendment crowd.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

It was my understanding, that there is nothing they can do to powder/primers to cause it to degrade or go inert over time, that will not cause it to go bad immediately.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Frankingun

Post by Frankingun »

For a second, I thought that the taggants thing was coming back.
Buy ammunition and magazines.

You'll shoot your eye out!

Another blog.