.357 snake shot (re)loads (UPDATE with test results)

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
Precision

.357 snake shot (re)loads (UPDATE with test results)

Post by Precision »

I am planning on making some snake shot loads for dad and a buddy who carry .357 and .38's while out hunting. Just seems like a good idea, but not at $1-2 per shell for commercially produced snake shot.

I was planning on going this route

http://www.jamescalhoon.com/snakeloads.php

I will be using styrofoam to-go containers for my wadding and a thin smear of silicon caulk over the top wad to seal it in.

Anyone have suggestions / experience with said project?
Last edited by Precision on Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Bullspit

Re: .357 snake shot (re)loads

Post by Bullspit »

I always used the Speer plastic capsules to build snake loads for my .357. That said, there is plenty of space in the .357 case to hold enough shot with a small amount of fast powder under it. Just be careful not to compress the powder too much.

I've seen snake loads built with gas checks as wads in the .45.
"Stand it like a man, and give some back." Al Swearengen
Precision

Post by Precision »

I was thinking #8 bird shot. What do you use / suggest?
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
Bullspit

Post by Bullspit »

Precision wrote:I was thinking #8 bird shot. What do you use / suggest?
The smallest shot you can find that is larger than what used to be called "dust" shot. You want maximum pellet count and a snake at close range doesn't need big pellets. I've used 9 mostly so 8 should work too.
"Stand it like a man, and give some back." Al Swearengen
Denis

Post by Denis »

PawPaw's buddy Junior has an interesting page about making his own shotshells, as does PawPaw himself.

Beware! That site is a total timesink, and the campfire recipes make me drool.
mousegun

Post by mousegun »

I've done it with 38's and 357 brass and using gaschecks. So far I have tried 7 1/2 & 8....8 works better due to small case volume. Number 9 or 10 would work better, but I was trying what I had on hand. You have a small capacity so you need good loading density, the smaller the better. At snake shooting distance, the super small pellets are an advantage. Definitely use fast burning powders such as Red or Green dot, W231/HP-38, Bullseye, etc. Charge weights will be in the same range as loads for 148 gr. HBWC - BBWC. You will be putting around 100 gr. or so of shot in the round but also want to keep the velocity under 1100 fps. If you have access to a Speer #12 they have data and info for their shot capsules; #13 should also have data. It's a good starting point for real info on the subject.
Precision

Post by Precision »

mousegun wrote:
I've done it with 38's and 357 brass and using gaschecks. So far I have tried 7 1/2 & 8....8 works better due to small case volume. Number 9 or 10 would work better, but I was trying what I had on hand. You have a small capacity so you need good loading density, the smaller the better. At snake shooting distance, the super small pellets are an advantage. Definitely use fast burning powders such as Red or Green dot, W231/HP-38, Bullseye, etc. Charge weights will be in the same range as loads for 148 gr. HBWC - BBWC. You will be putting around 100 gr. or so of shot in the round but also want to keep the velocity under 1100 fps. If you have access to a Speer #12 they have data and info for their shot capsules; #13 should also have data. It's a good starting point for real info on the subject.

I'm having to buy the shot so I guess I will pick up some #10.

I have a Speer manual, will have to check which edition.

So Titegroup would be a good powder for this application? Just need to figure out a load amount from my manual. My plan was to look at the lead bullet of similar weight to the shot then start with 10% below the initial load from that and work up if I don't have a snake load in my manual. Sound reasonable?
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

There used to be something called "bat shot" which was very small. I've tried to use 9 shot 38 specials to kill a snake - doesn't work nearly as well as the 22 mags shot shells.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Denis wrote:PawPaw's buddy Junior has an interesting page about making his own shotshells, as does PawPaw himself.

Beware! That site is a total timesink, and the campfire recipes make me drool.
Thank you, sir! We designed that site to be a timesink. Junior and I don't make a dime from it, but we have a ball. Junior is currently working on a project testing rifle bullets from handguns. You'd be amazed how far a rifle bullet will penetrate when fired at handgun velocities. No expansion at all, just pure penetration.

What was the original question? Oh, yeah, birdshot. I've used both #12 shot and #7.5 shot, cause that's what's in the storage locker. Both work fine, but you've got to decide if you want a swarm of tiny holes in the target or a smaller swarm of bigger holes. It's the classic shotshell conundrum; what size shot works best? Personally, for .357 I like 9 shot, which I get from a buddy who bought a 25 lb bag of it. A pound lasts forever in .38 cartridges. For .44 magnum, I use 7.5 shot.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Precision

Post by Precision »

That brings up a good question.

I will not (NOT) be reloading for shotgun anytime in the near future, so what is the best way to get shot without having to buy a 25# bag of lead.

Gonna look at Bass Pro. I think they have 10# bags which is still gonna last FOREVER, but less of forever than 25#.

I'm thinking a slightly bigger "cloud" of smaller shot would be the better way to go.